5 Things They Don’t Tell You About Life After Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

So, you have an amazing summer. You packed your bags, left your friends and family behind and embarked on the biggest adventure of your life. Maybe you took art classes in Rome or studied international business in Tokyo. Maybe you took an internship abroad. Maybe you stayed in the country, but tried out a new city. But no matter what amazing experience you had this summer, eventually you had to come home. Here are the things your adviser never told you about life after you study abroad.

1. There will be FOMO.

You had the most amazing summer of your life and made new friends from all over the world, but of course you missed your friends from home. When you reunite with your squad for the first time, they’ll want to hear all about your travels and experiences, but remember that their lives weren’t on hold while you were gone. You’ve missed out on a whole summer of parties, late night pizza runs and beach trips. You weren’t around to hear all about your best friend’s nightmarish summer boss or your roommate’s latest relationship drama. It’s easy to feel left out when your friends start cracking jokes you don’t understand, but remember to make the effort to catch up with them; they may not have spent their summer abroad, but they have just as many stories to tell.

2. Reverse culture shock is real.

Everyone experiences culture shock differently when they study abroad, and the same goes for reverse cultural shock when it’s time to return home. Coming home seems much easier than going away for an extended period of time, but that’s not always the case. Often, students who study abroad harbor idealized images of “home” during their time away. You may expect complete familiarity with your environment and constant attention when you return home. In reality, your friends and family have grown and changed over the course of the summer just like you have, and not everyone you know will be interested in your “when I was abroad…” stories. These inconsistencies between your expectations and reality can cause frustration, misunderstandings and feelings of alienation. Keep in mind that your friends’ and family’s lives and experiences matter; communicate with them if you’re feeling isolated, but make sure they know you’re interested in their summers too.

3. Not everyone can relate to your experiences.

Keep in mind that you’re extremely lucky to have studied abroad. Remember that not everyone gets the privilege to travel, and not everyone can relate to experiences like constantly eating macarons in Paris or spending long nights at the pub in London. This doesn’t mean you should be any less thrilled about your summer, but understand that not all of your friends will have the same opportunities. Be respectful when your best friend doesn’t want to hear about your weekend trip to Amsterdam for the one-hundredth time; they care about you, they just can’t relate. At your next lunch date, try to focus on the last show you both watched on Netflix or Frank Ocean’s new album. It’s much easier to reconnect when you’re on the same page!

4. You may have changed even more than you thought.

You know better than anyone how much you’ve grown this summer. You’ve learned more about yourself than you ever thought possible and you’re proud of your personal growth. Sometimes, however, those changes have larger implications for your life at home. You may find that your major just doesn’t excited you anymore, or maybe you’ve discovered new interests. You may even find that you’ve matured so much that you no longer feel connected to a particularly immature friend or unmotivated romantic interest. These feelings are normal and it’s okay to feel like you’ve changed, but try to find a new middle ground before you check out of strong relationships. Maybe your friends have also had transformative summers and are waiting to share them with you!

5. You’ll miss it like crazy!

When you first arrive home, you’ll be so busy fighting jetlag, catching up with loved ones and eating all of your favorite comfort foods that you won’t even have time to miss your study abroad location. But, especially if you’re like me and have trouble with big transitions, you’ll start to miss it like crazy once you settle back in. Instead of sulking and scrolling through your pictures for the one-thousandth time, use your experience abroad as inspiration. If you’re a writer, start a blog about your experiences. If you’re an artist, try to use your experience abroad as inspiration for your work. If you’re not a creative, use your nostalgia for your trip as inspiration to succeed in school and hopefully make it back to your location someday. Continue learning your location’s language, learn how to make your favorite local dish and don’t be ashamed to post a #TBT every once in awhile. You can keep your trip with you long after you return home.

Erin is a sophomore journalism major at Temple University, fashion and lifestyle blogger and ice cream enthusiast. Follow along at Hell in a Headband.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.