Partners On Our Weird Bodies Ii
Partners On Our Weird Bodies Ii
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness

5 Simple Ways to Take Care of Lady Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
If something feels off, do something about it

Our body chemistry is a very delicate matter, regardless of your gender, so if you are feeling like something is off then chances are your body is trying to tell you something. It has been known for women to mistake a HEART ATTACK for period cramps! This is most likely due to the fact that both the heart and the uterus are a part of the sympathetic nervous system which can make the pain of either of these organs somewhat vague or difficult to point out. That being said the likelihood of this is much lower than finding you have, say, a yeast infection which is way more common. These can be triggered by anything from a change in diet to wearing a wet bathing suit for too long. So if something feels a little off, don’t be afraid to talk to someone about it, better to figure it out now than to perpetually wonder if something is wrong.

Don’t be afraid of your vagina, she’s your friend

Getting to know your lady parts can be pretty daunting, we’ve got a lot going on. But hey, that’s also the beauty of being a woman, we’re complicated and that’s something to be proud of. Getting to know where your lady parts are as well as becoming comfortable with yourself can have a great impact on your health. Learning about your anatomy can help you better understand exactly how your body works and why it does some of the things that it does.

Don’t try to “clean” your lady parts super often

So don’t get me wrong keeping up proper vaginal hygiene is important but that being said BEWARE OF THE DOUCHE. Douching is the cleaning or flushing out of the vagina using water or other mixtures of fluids. This practice is highly discouraged by doctors for many reasons, as it can cause a multitude of health issues including but not limited to yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. This being said, it IS healthy to wash your lady parts sparingly with warm water and gentle soap, especially if you tend to wear a lot of tight clothes that don’t breathe well. Not taking care of this issue can lead to a buildup in bacteria that gets trapped in your tighter clothes or nylon underwear possible leading to an infection.

Breast Exams!

Learning to give yourself a breast exam allows you to see if there are any abnormalities at any time in your breast tissue. You should do this about once a month and can do so in the shower, laying down, or even in a mirror. To perform an examination on yourself (in one of the standing positions) simply press into your breast lightly starting by your underarm making your way to your nipple in a spiral pattern. Do this twice more with a little more pressure each time. If you feel any abnormalities, dimples, or growths don’t hesitate to call your doctor. Finding something in your breast doesn’t always mean the worst so if you do find something, take a deep breath and take the necessary steps to treat it.

Make sure to regularly be talking to your doctor about your feminine health

Going to the doctor for a yearly check up is important. This goes for feminine health related issues as well. Make sure that you are talking to your doctor about staying up to date on any tests or medications that deal with your feminine health. This relates back to the first point of this article which encourages you to speak out if something doesn’t seem right! Even if you’ve noticed a slight change in the way that you feel down there, it doesn’t hurt to ask your doctor if it is something to worry about. And on top of this you can go to bed knowing that whether or not something is going on, you’ve got it under control like a #girlboss.

Sarah Rebl

Temple '21

Sarah Rebl is a senior at Temple University, pursuing a career in Communication Studies. She likes to read, cook, write, and hike in her free time.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!