5 Reasons Why I Ditched My Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you’re a freshman, you may be recommended to purchase a meal plan or you may decide to pick one if you live in the dorms since they are convenient. However, in my opinion, there are much better options for students living on Temple’s campus who want to switch up their diets and have more variety in their meals.

Don’t believe me? Here’s five reasons why I ditched my meal plan and why it’s worked out so well for me.

1. Meal plans are overpriced

At Temple’s dining halls, one meal swipe is worth $8.69. At this rate, you’re spending about $26 a day for three meals, which comes out to around $180 per week. This can be super frustrating when the dining hall meals aren’t up to par or when they start putting food away hours before closing time. There were countless times when I went to the dining hall around 7:00 pm for dinner only for there to be nothing – unless you enjoy cereal or old pizza sitting under a heating lamp. I know I don’t.

2. Grocery shopping is more cost-efficient

Grocery shopping and meal prep can be tricky for freshmen, but it’s an amazing option for upperclassmen or anyone living off campus with a kitchen. The Fresh Grocer has just about everything you need, but for a bit of a longer trip, you can make your way to Trader Joe’s in Center City. Trader Joe’s offers healthier and cheaper choices. My average TJ’s bill is about $50 and everything I get usually lasts the whole week. At this rate, I’m saving $130 per week compared to a meal plan.

3. Meal prepping is healthier

Meal prepping has tons of benefits and is a fun way to balance out your diet if you enjoy cooking. Preparing food earlier in the week lets you plan out some (if not all) of your meals for each day and keeps you on track with healthy eating portions. Some easy options to have on hand for the week are rice, quinoa, chicken, and cut-up fruits and veggies. Another huge bonus of meal prepping is that you know exactly what ingredients are being used and what you’re eating on a day-to-day basis.

4. Food trucks

Just because you don’t have a meal plan doesn’t mean you can’t eat on campus! There are tons of great food trucks and places to eat that offer lots of food for low prices. There’s pretty much a food truck or vendor for any type of cuisine that you’re craving and most of them take cash, card, or Venmo. So convenient.  Some of my favorites are the Mexican Grill Stand by the SAC, the Crepe truck by Tyler, and Adriatic Grill at the Wall.

Oh, and quick life hack: order the crispy chicken wrap from The Honey Truck by College of Engineering. You will not regret it.

5. Dining halls lack variety

For me, finding variety in my meals at dining halls was a struggle. I got sick of eating the same things every day, and there usually weren’t many different choices. This can be especially difficult for people with dietary restrictions like vegetarians or vegans. When you buy your own groceries and cook your own meals, you can literally eat whatever you want, whenever you want.

Now look up a master grocery list on Pinterest, hit the store, and get cooking!

Italia is a sophomore at Temple University studying Political Science and Global Studies. When she is not binge-watching Parks and Recreation, she can be found in several clubs or organizations on campus. Some of her hobbies include writing, cooking, listening to music, and stalking Instagram accounts of famous dogs.