5 Must-Watch Disney Channel Original Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Tis the season to low-key wish you weren’t in the process of adulting and could focus on purchasing your Halloween costume, drinking Pumpkin Spiced Lattes, and binging a marathon of Disney Channel original Halloween movies. Once a year, Disney Channel airs these classic Halloween specials that serves a gentle reminder of our innocent days as a kid without any responsibilities. With that being said, here are my top five must-watch Disney Channel original throwbacks to rekindle your childish spirit of Halloween.

1. Halloweentown

On her thirteenth birthday, Marnie Piper discovers she is a witch when her grandma, Aggie Cromwell, drops in on the suburbs from Halloweentown. The three Piper children, including Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie, finesse their way back with Grandma Aggie on the iconic flying school bus to save the spirit and supernatural creatures of Halloweentown from the evil and manipulative Kalabar. The bouncy theme song and notorious story line makes ‘Halloweentown’ an essential annual watch.

2. Phantom of the Megaplex

On a more mysterious note, this Disney Channel original depicts the unforeseen events that occur at teen Pete Riley’s job as a movie theater employee. During the premiere of the film ‘Midnight Mayhem,’ a supernatural presence begins toiling around at the theater and it’s on Pete to determine the cause of the suspicious events. A mix of mystery and horror, ‘Phantom of the Megaplex’ incites viewers with a surprisingly intriguing plot that is similar to the actual ‘Phantom of the Opera.

3. Don’t Look Under the Bed

Hands down, ‘Don’t Look Under the Bed’ was the most horrifying DCOM ever released. As the first PG-rated original on the network, this DCOM followed Frances McCausland and her invisible friend Larry Houdini’s frightening ventures to terminate mishaps occurring throughout their town caused by a boogeyman. Frances and Larry create several methods to stop the boogeyman, however, Larry begins to morph into a boogeyman himself. This film was sure to trigger nightmares due to its daunting imagery that is typically not featured in Disney movies. Only the brave can handle this bad boy.

4. Halloweentown High

Proceeding the original and ‘Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge,’ Marnie Piper and her supernatural Halloweentown creature squad attend high school in the mortal world, where their powers must be concealed and problems kept at a minimum. However, the ominous Knight of the Iron Dagger targets Marnie and her enchanted friends during their time in the mortal world. Fans of other DCOMs will recognize some familiar faces in this sequel and will be delighted to follow Marnie’s journey of becoming a Halloweentown hero.

5. Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire

Adam and Chelsea Hansen end up grounded by their single mom, Lynette, causing their plans to fall through with their friends. The two teens take matters into their own hands by pushing their mother out of the house and setting her up on a date with a suspicious British man named Dimitri. Eventually, their little brother, Taylor, discovers that Dimitri’s mannerisms and qualities mimic those of a vampire’s. With a unique yet humorous array of characters, ‘Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire’ is a solid cheesy Halloweekend watch.

These Disney Channel original Halloween throwbacks always instill a sense of lightheartedness upon the viewers that bring them back to simpler days of spending Halloween trick-or-treating in their hometown and climbing on stacks of hay at the pumpkin patch. So relive your childhood this Halloweekend by throwing it back to these Disney Channel original Halloween movies.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus