This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

According to Beyoncé, the Queen B herself, girls run the world. Today in 2018, it seems like this powerful statement is becoming a reality. Now, more than ever, females are standing up for themselves and uniting to make the lives of the future women of the world better.

One of the most powerful ways for anyone to express themselves and their message is through music. Female artists are making a difference through their authentic stories, inspiring messages, and ferocious power. Here are just a few women we would like to acknowledge and thank for their bravery and honesty.

1. Kesha

Kesha has dealt with a lot of abuse from Dr. Luke and her record label, and when she finally released her album Rainbow, with hit single, “Praying,” she made it clear that she was sick of being quiet. Kesha performed this powerful banger at the Grammy’s, leaving the audience and viewers from all around the world speechless. Kesha has proven that she is a force to be reckoned with and has already showed other women that it’s okay to speak out and fight against the ones who hurt you.

2. Alessia Cara

Even before she won Best New Artist at the Grammy’s, Alessia Cara had been releasing music with messages of self-love and empowerment. One of her biggest hits, “Scars to Your Beautiful,” emphasizes that each and every person is beautiful in a unique way. She also stresses that the we should not feel that we have to meet society’s standards of “perfection.” Cara also teamed up with Logic and Khalid on the hit song, “1-800-273-8255,” which brings awareness to suicide, and how to get help.

3. JoJo

JoJo’s newest album, Mad Love, includes several powerful songs that highlight self-love and of course, girl power. On one track, titled “I Can Only,” she pairs up with Alessia Cara, and both artists stress that being yourself is the best way to succeed. JoJo also says goodbye to haters and fake friends in tracks like “F*ck Apologies” and “F.A.B.” The singer actively promotes self-love and has also opened up about her own struggles with depression and self-confidence.

4. Demi Lovato

Following the release of her sixth studio album, Tell Me You Love Me, Lovato bared her heart and soul into a documentary, Simply Complicated, that was just as raw and authentic as her album itself. Lovato dived into the deepest and hardest parts of her life, involving being addicted to drugs, struggling with body image and coping with multiple mental health issues. Lovato also tries to spread body positivity messages through her own posts on social media where she addresses that she too struggles with her own body image. Through the honesty in her documentary and the messages she sends through social media, Lovato has proven to other women that things can, and do, get better.

5. Kehlani

Kehlani is an artist who proves that your past does not determine your future. Her mother was on the run from the police when she gave birth to Kehlani, and was sent to jail afterwards. Kehlani also lost her father when she was just a toddler. The Grammy-nominated artist appeared on the sixth season of America’s Got Talent, as the lead singer in a cover band called PopLyfe. The group came in fourth place, but this was just the beginning of her career. Nick Cannon noticed her immense talent and ultimately helped her begin her career. Kehlani has also openly discussed her suicide attempts and believed that she survived for a reason. Since then, Kehlani has released several songs that stress the importance of loving yourself, and continues to remind women that they can do anything they set their minds too.

These are just a few women who are standing together and speaking out and we are proud of them for using their platform in the best way possible.

Lisa Cunningham is currently a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. When she is not listening to music, living it up at a concert or hanging with friends, Cunningham loves to write about all things relate to pop culture!
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus