5 Album Releases To Look Forward To This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With the warm weather of spring approaching, some of the most anticipated albums of 2019 are finally within reach.

Heightening the excitement of the pre-summer tour season, we’ve laid out some of the music to look forward to in the upcoming months.

While this list doesn’t account for ALL of the amazing artist with upcoming record releases, it lays out the 5 we’re most excited about. To check out more upcoming albums, click here.

1. Billie Eilish, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? (March 29, 2019)

Possibly one of the most anticipated albums this year, Billie Eilish will drop her debut When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? on March 29th.

Since releasing her debut single, “Ocean Eyes” at just 14 years old, Eilish has become one of the most talked about female pop singers of recent years.

Now, having released multiple hit singles and solidifying an extremely strong connection with her fan base, even high-caliber celebrities like Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters are acknowledging her rock-n-roll abilities.

Refraining from features to hone in on her personal identity, we couldn’t be more excited about what Eilish brings to the table on the presumed 13-track album.

2. Vampire Weekend, Father Of The Bride (May 3, 2019)

With the music world overflowing with new hip-hop and pop artists, Vampire Weekend is ending their six-year hiatus to bring us a refreshing, alternative record.

Frontman Ezra Koenig announced the album on Instagram in late January, hinting to nothing more than the title, Father Of The Bride, and the number of tracks coming it at 18.

Shortly after the announcement, the alternative rockers showed their modern clout with the single “Sunflower” featuring the popular R&B artist and The Internet bassist, Steve Lacy.

“Sunflower” amongst a few other singles have offered a familiar, yet up-to-date sound, previewing what is to come.

3. Anderson .Paak, Ventura (April 12)

Anderson .Paak has been gaining a ton of popularity and recognition over the past few years. Continuing with the movement, the soulful singer is already dropping a second album since the November release of Oxnard.

With soulful vocals, a knack for drumming, and rap abilities to hold up against some of the best, .Paak appeals to a huge demographic of fans, making his upcoming album even more anticipated.

In a recent interview with Esquire, .Paak explained the personal level of the record.

“I wanted to keep it as incubated as I could ‘cause I wanted to keep the vibes with how we felt at the time,” .Paak said.

Lucky for us, the tracklist and features for Ventura have already been released, both of which are listed below.

1. “Come Home” feat. André 3000
  2. “Make It Better” feat. Smokey Robinson
  3. “Reachin’ 2 Much” feat. Lalah Hathaway
  4. “Winners Circle”
  5. “Good Heels” feat. Jazmine Sullivan
  6. “Yada Yada”
  7. “King James”
  8. “Chosen One” feat. Sonyaè Elise
  9. “Jet Black” feat. Brandy
  10. “Twilight”
  11. “What Can We Do?” feat. Nate Dogg

4. Khalid, Free Spirit (April 5)

Khalid has already connected with the hearts of teens all over the country since his mid-highschool release of the Grammy nominated track “Location.”

Khalid’s career skyrocketed with his highly successful debut album American Teen, gaining him loads of popularity, multiple awards, and collaborations with artists like Logic, Calvin Harris, and Future.

Currently known for his fun, free-spirited sound (hince the album title), fans might be surprised to know that Khalid is channeling a darker vibe for this album while continuing to float across genres, song by song.

Having already hinted on Instagram at a possible John Mayer collaboration, fans are anxiously awaiting to see what comes of Khalid’s second album.

5. Mac DeMarco, Here Comes The Cowboy (May 10)

Mac DeMarco will continue his annual Philadelphia tour stop this September. This year, the psychedelic rocker will perform in support of his upcoming album Here Comes The Cowboy.

DeMarco has already dropped a single titled, “Nobody,” paired with a video of the jokester sporting a lizard mask and cowboy hat (which would be more of a story… if we weren’t talking about Mac DeMarco).

Although controversy has sparked regarding the title’s similarity to Mitski’s Be The Cowboy (which featured a single titled “Nobody” as well), fans and Mistki are extremely excited to hear the record.

“haha! I’m 100% sure mac & I just went fishing in the same part of the collective unconscious!” Mitski joked on Twitter.

The tracklist for Here Comes The Cowboy is featured below.

1. “Here Comes The Cowboy”
  2. “Nobody”
  3. “Finally Alone”
  4. “Little Dogs March”
  5. “Preoccupied”
  6. “Choo Choo”
  7. “K”
  8. “Heart to Heart”
  9. “Hey Cowgirl”
  10. “On the Square”
  11. “All of Our Yesterdays”
  12. “Skyless Moon”
  13. “Baby Bye Bye”

Some other albums to look forward to this Spring are The Flaming Lips,’ King’s Mouth on April 13, and Cage The Elephants Social Cues on April 19.

Hopes are high for drops from Rihanna and Tame Impala as well, rumoured to arrive this spring/summer.

A vague reply of “soon,” in response to a fan questioning when we will hear Rihanna’s new music, and post on Tame’s Instagram captioned “New Year. New Shows. New Music. New” have hinted at the upcoming records – Tame Impala dropped a new single called Patience on March 22 and, quite frankly, it slaps. However, information such as tracklist, titles and release dates for a full album have not yet been announced.

Overall, it’s looking like this spring will feature pretty awesome soundtracks.

Rita is a sophomore Communication Studies major here at Temple. While constantly pursuing creative outlets, you can find her writing for Her Campus and WHIP (Temple's Student Radio) as well as listening to music or attending a yoga class in her free time. https://ritawrites.wixsite.com/site