2014 Emmy Awards Stir Up Sexism Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The 66th Emmy Awards aired on August 25, 2014 and while everyone traditionally would have discussed the nominees, fashion and first time host Seth Meyers the hot topic of the night was an incident involving Modern Family actress Sofia Vergara.

During the broadcast Vergara introduced the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences CEO, Bruce Rosenblum, who spoke to the audience about the organization. It is a tradition that is done every year…except this year was different. After asking the Columbian beauty to stand on a rotating pedestal for the entirety of his speech, he ended by making what many thought to be a cheap and misogynistic joke. He said, “What truly matters is that we never forget that our success is based on always giving the viewer something compelling to watch.”

According to Newsweek, social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook blew up with complaints from men and women alike, asking why the Emmy’s aired such a sexist skit. People argued that the actress was objectified and belittled by the skit.

Interestingly enough, Vergara herself came to the defense of the Emmy’s and told Entertainment Weekly, “I think it’s absolutely the opposite. It means that somebody can be hot and also be funny and make fun of herself. I think it’s ridiculous that somebody started this—I know who she was—who has no sense of humor [and should] lighten up a little bit.”

This begs the question, how far is too far? What should we stand for and how should we expect to be treated? Although in this incident there is no correct answer as to which side should be taken, it truly does make you think. What role does misogyny play in our daily lives and how can we take a stand?

There is a bright side to all of this controversial sexism. Now, the issue is discussed. The Emmy’s presented the question and now it is up to powerful women to keep the sexism discussion relevant, so that it can be prevented in the future.

Shauna is a senior journalism major at Temple. She loves keeping up to date with pop culture, and hopes to get into the entertainment news field after graduation. Her other interests include coffee, shopping, binge watching Sex and the City, going to concerts, and everything Britney Spears.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.