13 Of Taylor Swift’s Best Lyrics from ‘1989’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Exactly one year ago from today, Taylor Alison Swift released her fifth studio album, 1989. This album was a change for Swift because she announced it would be a completely pop album. It marked her split from country tunes with her lead single, “Shake It Off.” To celebrate the release of 1989 I thought it only right to reflect on her best 1989 lyrics from the album. #HappyBirthday1989 

The album is titled 1989 as it is her birth year, and she put the album out when she was 25. “I woke up and I [decided the album is] called 1989. I’d been making ’80s synth pop, so I thought I’m just gonna do that. I’m calling it a pop record. I’m not listening to anyone at my label. I’m starting tomorrow,” she said.

From the stunning and super dancey singles of “Blank Space” and “Shake It Off” to the deeper and more emotional tracks such as “Out Of The Woods” and “Clean,” every song on this album is worthy of listening to forever. Here are our absolute favorite 1989 lyrics to live by.

1. “The rest of the world is black and white, but we were in screaming color.” –“Out of the Woods”
Although never a single, Swift released this John Hughes-ey song before the album released because she felt it revealed the mood of “1989.”
2. “Got a long list of ex-lovers. They’ll tell you I’m insane. ‘Cause you know I love the players and you love the game.” –“Blank Space”
This will surely not be the only lyric from “Blank Space” considering it is a brilliant lyrical satire of how the media portrays Swift.
3.“People like you always want back the love they gave away. And people like me wanna believe you when you say you’ve changed.” –“All You Had To Do Was Stay”

The opening line of this song begins with a punch straight to the gut.

4. “But I keep cruising, can’t stop, won’t stop moving. It’s like I got this music in my mind saying, “It’s gonna be alright.” –“Shake It Off”
If this song doesn’t immediately put a smile on your face then you are not human. That is all.

5. “I wish we could go back and remember what we were fighting for. And I wish you knew that I miss you too much to be mad anymore.” – “I Wish You Would”

Now this is my personal favorite song from the album. Not only does it feel nostalgic, but also it breaks your heart as Swift sings about wishing her ex would come back in her life.

6. “Band-aids don’t fix bullet holes. You say sorry just for show. If you live like that, you live with ghosts. If you love like that blood runs cold.” – “Bad Blood”

This video won Video of the Year for being a masterpiece, but what would it be with the lyrics? Nothing, that’s what.

7. “I said, ‘No one has to know what we do,’ His hands are in my hair, his clothes are in my room. And his voice is a familiar sound, nothing lasts forever but this is getting good now.” – “Wildest Dreams”

This breathless track practically screams lust and romance. The dream-like song will make you get lost in your own daydreams.

8. “This love is good, this love is bad. This love is alive back from the dead. These hands had to let it go free. And this love came back to me.” – “This Love”

The chorus on “This Love” really sets it apart from the rest. It makes you wonder exactly which love Swift is talking about.

9. “Cause they got the cages, they got the boxes and guns. They are the hunters, we are the foxes and we run.” – “I Know Places”

Swift said that she always wanted to write a song that referenced foxes. This song describes perfectly what a high-profile relationship is like for the singer.

10. “The water filled my lungs, I screamed so loud but no one heard a thing.” – “Clean”

Swift said in an interview, “It’s about comparing getting over a relationship to sobriety; it has a lot of different references between addiction and moving on from a relationship.”

11. “But you’ll come back each time you leave ‘cause, darling, I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.” – “Blank Space”

Also known as the most used Taylor Swift lyric turned Instagram caption.

12. “Everybody here was someone else before. And you can want who you want. Boys and boys and girls and girls.” – “Welcome To New York”

Moving to The Big Apple was one of the biggest inspirations for the album and Swift really captured the essence of New York with this lyric.

13. “She lost him but she found herself and somehow that was everything.” –Linear Note

Okay so technically this wasn’t a lyric because it was part of Swift’s linear notes. However, this line pretty much sums up “1989” as a whole and is something no girl should ever forget.

Paulina is the former Arts & Entertainment Editor at Her Campus Temple University. She is a senior Journalism major and Sociology minor, who plans to pursuse a career in magazines after graduation. She enjoys anything relating to current events, pop culture and inspirational quotes. She can most likely be found watching Netflix, taking Buzzfeed quizzes or trying out new restaurants in Philadelphia. You can follow Paulina on Twitter & Instagram @paulinajayne15
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.