Wellness > Health

10 Ways to Stay Motivated to Stick to Your Workout Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As we have just headed into 2020, fad diets and advertisements for everything from health programs to pills are swarming the media. People are getting gym memberships, buying cute workout outfits, and stocking their fridges with health food; Yet only 19% of people are able to stick to their New Year’s Resolutions long-term (the vast majority of them being fitness or health-related). The pressure of suddenly expecting yourself to find the time and energy to workout on a regular basis is overwhelming and often leaves people discouraged. The key to incorporating a solid workout routine into your life is just that- to make it part of your routine. Below are 10 ways that might help you to kick your “yo-yo” gym habits and get your feet back in those Nike sneakers for good.

Routine. Routine. Routine.

The true benefits of exercise come through consistency. My father has been an avid exercise-enthusiast his entire life and fortunately passed his passion onto me. He has always told me (which couldn’t be more true) that once the mental anguish of having missed a workout surpasses the physical pain and effort of the workout itself, you’ll never miss a day. As you start to witness the benefits that exercising gives and it becomes a habit, you’ll find more enjoyment in the practice knowing how much it helps you in every aspect of your life- mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Prioritize the Practice

We have all heard before that if you truly want to do something, you’ll find the time. Next time you find yourself making excuses for why you aren’t able to work out, try to be honest with yourself and think about all of the other things you did make time for that day. Were they really more important- or where they just more “fun” or pleasurable? Long-term pleasure stems from long-term effort (and really, most of that pleasure is sporadic in the journey itself).

Find an Accountability Partner

Having someone who knows about and supports your goals is an excellent way to keep you on track. This person could be a close friend, a parent, a sibling, or anyone whom you trust and know will encourage your path to well-being. You could ask them to check-in with you periodically, or simply use this person as motivation knowing you can share your progress and success with them.

Seek Out People With Similar Goals

Aside from simply having someone who knows about your fitness goals, taking it a step further would be seeking out someone to achieve them with you. You could use social media or apps such as Jaha, Strava, or RunSocial to find workout buddies in your area. It always makes it less daunting to work out when you do it with someone else, and it’s especially useful in the beginning of your fitness journey when you are still learning and finding exercises that work best for you.

Set Personal Goals

What made you want to start working out in the first place? Was it inspired by a desire to improve your mental health or to be preventative about your physical health? Whatever it may be, remind yourself why you started on a daily basis and track your progress through goals or milestones. This could be as simple as having a goal to run one mile continuously or being able to increase the weight on a machine by a couple of pounds as your muscles grow stronger.

Reward Yourself

As you achieve your goals, no matter how small, make sure you give yourself credit. It is OKAY to pat yourself on the back and be proud of what you have achieved. Something that could motivate you long-term is planning a much-needed summer vacation or signing up for a 5k a few months down the road.

Switch It Up

One thing that often discourages people is the boredom of exercising- but it doesn’t have to be boring! Try to find physical activities that you truly enjoy while also reaping the positive health benefits. If your community center or school offers group exercise classes, this is a great way to experiment and see what activities make you feel the best. Try a sport, yoga, ice-skating, or another fun activity to replace your regular gym or home routine as often as you’d like. After all- no matter what you’re doing, exercise is exercise!

Make A Bangin’ Playlist

Something that probably motivates me more than anything else is finding new energetic music. Put together a playlist of some songs that just make you want to get up and dance, and you’ll find that the energy will flow from your headphones through your body and be enough to power you through your work out, as well as make it a much more enjoyable experience. There are plenty of pre-made workout and running playlists on Pandora, Spotify, and other streaming services that you can listen to at no cost.

Get Lots of Sleep

Nothing makes it harder to get yourself moving than fatigue. College students specifically need at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep per day to be able to function at their best. Feeling awake and energized will encourage you to want to move and make it seem like less of a chore. Plus- physical activity improves the quality of your sleep.

Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself

Remember that your fitness journey is just that- a journey. You’re going to have to go through a period of trial-and-error to see what routines and exercises work for you and be consistent in your effort. Celebrate the small victories and remember that nothing great happens overnight. You are on your way to a better you, no matter how small the steps are that you take to get there. You got this!

Exercise should make you feel good and shouldn’t be something you feel obligated to do, but rather something you do by choice because you enjoy all of the amazing things it does for you. Whatever your workout-style is, make sure that it brings you joy, pride, and passion. It is an investment in your future and shows that you care about and respect yourself as a person and the beautiful body you live in.

Hi everyone! I'm a Temple University grad with a bachelor's degree in journalism. Writing in both creative & informative spaces has been a passion of mine ever since I was little. Some of the topics I love to write about include health, fitness, personal development, and being vegetarian. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and mental health advocate who believes in the power of self-care and optimism. Connect with me: www.leannespiegle.com