This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Without a doubt, 2019 was the year for TikTok. As it comes to a close and we welcome 2020 with semi-open arms, why don’t we take a peek at the top 10 songs that are playing on your TikTok feed?

Loui – “Shake Dat (feat Lil Jay)”

This remix has taken the TikTok by storm with its provocative lyrics and the hip-swaying dance that the app’s users have created.

Lonr. – “A.M.”

I’ve found myself listening to this song outside of the app from time and time and the lyrics, “hop outta bed, rock out again,” are incredibly hype-inducing.

K CAMP – “Lottery”

While the song, itself, isn’t too memorable, when TikTok users, @ty.cxc and @michelle.dnce, created a smooth, fast-paced dance to go with it, the song made a lasting impression on the app.

Don Toliver – “No Idea”

I actually had to search the lyrics up for this one because its most famous lyrics, “Feeling like I did too much / I’m feeling like I did too much / Well let’s get naughtier, I mean naughtier,” are entirely mumbled. It slaps, nonetheless.

KYLE – “iSpy feat. Lil Yachty”

This song may have come out in 2017, but it’s just recently begun to make its rounds on TikTok as a more comedic sound.

Jason Derulo – “Whatcha Say”

iSpy showing up on the trending page isn’t too much of a shock as a lot of new sounds are actually from older songs. “Whatcha Say” by Jason Derulo is definitely one of them as it was released back in the late 2000s.

Chief Keef – “That’s It”

Another comedic sound going viral is the stutter in “That’s It” as people use it primarily to make relatable (and often self-deprecating) content.

Lost Kings – “Phone Down (ft. Emily Warren)”

This is a seemingly new addition to the page. Similar to “Shake Dat,” the song inspires more provocative and lustful videos.

Vinny West – “No Face No Case”

Some people use this song to make dance-related TikToks but honestly, it’s just a good transition sound for when you’re feeling especially confident.

Waitress Original Broadway Cast Ensemble – “Never Ever Getting Rid of Me”

A lot of the videos associated with this sound are created in the form of a skit. I would recommend listening to this and the rest of the soundtrack from the musical Waitress.

TikTok receives a lot of hate for its cringey videos (and trust me, there are a lot) but sometimes, it really can introduce us to some great songs (or just fun, short clips that entertain us when we’re bored out of our minds). I’d suggest listening to a few of these songs on your own but honestly, get the app and hear them there! You’ll be surprised by how amusing they can be!

Rosie Hendricks, a junior journalism major at Temple University with a minor in Ancient Mediterranean Studies, often finds themself busy scrolling through social media for the latest scoop on anything arts and entertainment. For insight into what they spend their time obsessing over, click on a few of their articles and immerse yourself in the delights of recommendations, reviews, and more.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!