10 Romantic Movies to Watch on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

February 14th is fast approaching and it’s time to start thinking about what you want to do for the holiday of love. You can show your love for not only your significant other, but also your family and friends.

Personally, I enjoy staying in, wearing pajamas, and eating the chocolate my mom bought me while watching movies.

Here are 10 romantic movies you need to watch on Valentine’s Day:

1. Valentine’s Day

This one is a given. The holiday is right in the title. Filled with numerous love stories and a star-studded cast, this is a great one to watch.

2. Titanic

I know. You’re probably thinking, “What’s so romantic about a boat sinking?” Jack and Rose were created to depict a love story during that tragic time. A guy willing to freeze to death in the ocean for a woman he just met? If that isn’t love, then what is?

3. The Notebook

Based off the Nicholas Sparks novel, this movie will make you cry and wish for that kind of love. Noah reads to his wife, Allie, pages from her diary, their love story, because she is starting to develop Alzheimer’s. This is probably the most romantic movie of all time.

4. A Walk to Remember

Also based off a Nicholas Sparks novel that will make you cry. Landon falls in love with the not-so-popular Jamie, who has Leukemia. Their love story is like the wind – you can’t see it, but you can feel it.

5. Crazy Stupid Love

Although the main couple has some rough patches, this movie teaches you that true love will always come back to you, even after mistakes. On top of having some laughs, you get to see Ryan Gosling shirtless, so this movie is A++ to me.

6. The Proposal

A guy who pretends to marry his witch of a boss so she doesn’t get deported back to Canada, but then actually falls in love with her. That sounds like something that would only happen in a movie.

7. 27 Dresses

This movie is very relatable for single ladies. A woman who is a bridesmaid 27 times, but can’t seem to find a guy for her own. A journalist appears at a wedding she is at, they sing “Benny and the Jets” in a bar, and the rest is history.

8. Sweet Home Alabama

This movie is all about following your heart and never forgetting where you came from. Reese Witherspoon is the main role. She goes back to her hometown of Alabama to get her husband to sign divorce papers because she is currently engaged to another man. While she is there, she goes back to her country roots and realizes her ex may not be her ex for long.

9. Dirty Dancing

Patrick Swayze dancing. What more could you ask for? Besides the dancing and other issues that happen, Johnny Swayze falls in love with Baby (Jennifer Grey). Even though he falls in love with a 17-year-old and he is in his 20’s, it has become one of the most-watched movies of all time.

10. 50 First Dates

This one is more of a comedy, but the romance is still there. The main character, Adam Sandler, falls for a woman who has short-term memory loss (Drew Barrymore). The lengths he goes through to get her to remember him day after day will make you appreciate the romance in the movie.

This Valentine’s Day snuggle up on your couch and watch any one of these movies.

Or if you have another favorite, watch that too. Or you could do what I do and wait until the day after, a.k.a. 50 percent off chocolate day, and watch them then.

Happy Valentine’s Day!