10 Girl-Power Songs That Will Boost Your Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Listen up, ladies! We all have our bad days and sometimes we just need a little pick-me-up. Whether you got a bad grade on your physics midterm or your boss totally put down your idea in front of all your coworkers, we all have our bad days. This list of 10 girl–power songs is going to turn your whole day around and remind you of the strong and empowered woman you really are!

1.      Destiny’s Child- Independent Women, Pt.1

C’mon, you can’t make a list of female- empowerment songs without including one of the biggest girl groups of all time. Not only was this song featured in the 2000 film, Charlie’s Angels, but it’s also catchy and boasts about the pride you should have in your independence! Listen to this and I guarantee that you will be reminded that you are in charge of your own life; “I depend on me!”

2.      Love Myself- Hailee Steinfeld

For all the Pitch Perfect 2 fans out there, you will love this one. You first heard her sing as Emily Junk in the film and now Hailee Steinfeld is reminding you that self-love is the most important love of all. Nobody but you should matter when it comes to how you feel about yourself. So scream at the top your lungs, “Gonna love myself, no, I don’t need anybody else!”

3.      Confident –Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato’s been making headlines lately for her message on body positivity and with an album, rightfully titled Confident, coming out Oct. 16 she isn’t slowing down. The first track from the LP will have you embracing the strong and “bossy” part of you people may try to put down. Her powerhouse vocals will have you asking, “What’s wrong with being confident?”

4.      Feeling Good- Nina Simone version

This is quite the #throwback but it is still super relevant. The simplicity of the song is enough to make any woman feel rejuvenated. The start of a new day is a new beginning and another chance to do all the things you have ever wanted to accomplish. When you have a positive outlook like that, nothing is impossible!

5.      Girl on Fire- Alicia Keys

You probably remember when Alicia Keys performed this song with Olympic Gold Medalist Gabby Douglas at the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards. This song speaks to the women who are ready take on any challenge and stand tall because she cannot be diminished. If you need to remind yourself that you have the power to do anything, this is for you!

6.      Fighter- Christina Aguilera

We all have our run-ins with people who seem to be trying to tear us down. At the time it is absolutely awful, but at the end of the day they have all led you to becoming the strong person you are today. Christina will definitely get those vibes going with this song built for the fighter in you!

1. ***Flawless- Beyonce ft. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Queen Bey has so many songs that make women feel powerful and is constantly advocating for the equality of women and men today. “***Flawless” is the song you will be singing before a night out with your best girlfriends! It will make you want to dance, scream at the top of your lungs, and maybe you’ll work up the courage to do something you have been putting off for a while.

8.      Salute- Little Mix

This English girl-group released this girl-power anthem in 2014 and it will be stuck in your head for days. The use of military metaphors and lyrics like, “It’s who we are/ We don’t need no camouflage/ it’s the female federal/And we’re taking off,” you will be more than ready to join this female army!

9.      Respect- Aretha Franklin

This is an oldie but too good to resist! Whether you are in a relationship or just got a position at a new company, you demand one thing: R-E-S-P-E-C-T and there’s nothing wrong with that!

10.  Stronger- Britney Spears

Last but not least, a list of girl empowerment songs cannot be complete without a little piece of childhood from a pop icon. If you ever fall down, you will get back up and be stronger than ever. 

Carine Lavache is a junior journalism major at Temple University. She loves to write and hopes her passion for magazine journalism brings her back to her hometown,New York, or Los Angeles. Fun fact? She has a twin sister! Carine can be reached at carine.lavache@temple.edu and carinelavache.weebly.com.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.