10 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

From inexpensive drug store brands like E.L.F,  to high end brands like Marc Jacobs, cosmetic companies are changing the way they test and manufacture their products. Cosmetic brands manufactured in countries where animal testing is still allowed, such as the U.S, will have the ‘Leaping Bunny’ logo on them. This logo is an internationally recognized mark that helps consumers identify and purchase products that have not been tested on animals. However, not all brands include the logo on their products, even when they are cruelty-free! With help from PETA’s (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website, here are some of the well known brands that do not test on animals.

1. e.l.f

Commonly found in drugstores, e.l.f produces good quality products at a drugstore price. On top of being PETA Certified as cruelty-free, e.l.f in the past also launched a cruelty-free campaign. In this campaign they created  ‘PETA Fur-Free Tweezers’ and 50 percent of the sales proceeds went to PETA. Not only that, but they are also actively involved in the fight against animal testing.

2. The Body Shop

This go to skincare, perfume and cosmetic company is another fan favorite for those looking for actively involved beauty brands without completely breaking the bank. The Body Shop is partnered with an organization called Cruelty Free International and have a section on their website stating the methods they use to test their products! According to their website, they were “the first company to be certified with the Leaping Bunny logo, back in 1997.” Most, if not all, of their products have the ‘Leaping Bunny’ logo on them.

3. Essence

This brand can easily be found at a decent price in department stores and beauty supply stores such as Ulta and Sephora. This brand is owned by a larger beauty brand from Germany called Cosnova Beauty. In Germany, animal testing has been banned country-wide since 1998.

4. NYX

Although NYX is owned by their parent company L’Oreal, a major cosmetic company that DOES test on animals. However according PETA, NYX has been committed to cruelty-free testing since 2010.

5. Urban Decay

Another subset of L’Oreal that does not test on animals. Urban Decay is not only cruelty-free ‘in house’, but they also make sure the raw materials received from suppliers are also not tested on animals. If you’re also looking from vegan cosmetics, Urban Decay offers some products that are marked vegan. Just be sure to check the ingredients.

6. bareMinerals

A favorite across the board. bareMinerals is cruelty-free with a statement from their website that even warns consumer their brushes are made from goat and pony hair, but that they also offer great synthetic brushes as well. On their website you can find this statement: “Please feel at ease when using bareMinerals products as we do not test on animals. We also do not work with any manufacturers that do animal testing. bareMinerals natural haired brushes are made of Goat and Pony. Please note that no animals are harmed in the process of making our brushes.”

7. Too Faced

This is another popular brand that is cruelty-free but owned by Estee Lauder, a larger company that is not cruelty-free. The great thing about a few of Too Faced’s products is that they use natural ingredients that you can smell. Such as their Chocolate pressed powder… it ACTUALLY smells like chocolate. (Trust me, I have it.)

8. Tarte

On top of already creating products that are formulated free of parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sulfates, gluten and synthetic fragrances, Tarte is also cruelty-free. If you’re not already sold by that, Tarte also includes an ingredients list at the bottom of the product page for customers to check out.

9. Marc Jacobs

This brand is not exactly cheap, but on the plus side Marc Jacobs has high-end quality cosmetics that are not tested on animals. Keep in mind however that their fragrance and perfume lines are not 100% cruelty-free.

10. Lush

Products made from Lush are all freshly handmade. The company produces high quality cosmetics at a decent price in store and online. On top of being 100% cruelty free, Lush is another cosmetic brand actively involved in fighting animal cruelty. In fact, they created their own campaign that awards individuals who have been successfully working towards the goal of replacing animals in product or ingredient safety. They call it the ‘LushPrize’ and the award is judged based on an individual’s effort in Lobbying, Public Awareness, Science, Training and Research for the fight against animal testing.

If you’re not sure about whether or not your favorite cosmetic or beauty brand is cruelty-free be sure to check out PETA’s website. You can search to find out which brands are cruelty-free, organic, vegan, etc. Happy shopping!

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus