10 of the Best Moments from the 2018 Grammy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Missed the annual Grammy Awards and want a quick recap?  Here are the top 10 moments of the night.

1. Kendrick Lamar wins…a lot

As we all know, Kendrick Lamar had a crazy night with winning Best Rap album, Best Rap Performance, and Best Rap Song, but his biggest moment of the night was his opening performance of “XXX” and “DNA.”  He turned the whole production into a grand scheme about black power. Way to represent the people, Kendrick! #BlackPride

2. Bruno Mars wins big

Like Kendrick, Bruno Mars was another star of the night with his wins for Song of the Year, Best R&B album, Best R&B Performance, Best R&B Song and more. Damn, he almost took home the whole R&B category by himself, but I’m not mad at The Academy’s choice at all. #Winning

3. Kesha’s emotional performance

Kesha has had an emotional comeback with everything in regards to the Dr. Luke drama and her extremely personal single “Praying.” For her Grammys performance, Kesha had Cyndi Lauper, Camila Cabello, Andra Day, Julia Michaels, Bebe Rexha and the Renaissance Revival Chorus up on stage with her dressed in all white in honor of the #MeToo movement. I almost never cry, but this ballad version made me shed a few tears. Stay strong Kesha, because we’re here for you and the other victims.

4. Alessia Cara was the only woman to bring home an award 

I’ve been a fan of hers since the beginning, so for her to be the only woman to win a Grammy this year is a huge deal. What I loved most about this moment was her speech, which was not only honest, but pure. This was just what people needed to hear. Chase your dreams no matter what.

5. Cardi B & Bruno Mars’ live performance

Since the Grammys, I’ve had Cardi B and Bruno Mars’ live performance on repeat and honestly, I’m pretty much obsessed. Everything from the costumes to the overall chemistry between Cardi B and Bruno was fantastic. They seem so perfect for each other, musically. I’m only hoping for another collab track soon.

6. Ed Sheeran the no-show

Ed Sheeran may have been a no-show, but he still won for both Best Pop Solo Performance and Best Pop Album. His whereabouts during this time were strangely spent sleeping through the Grammys, but I’m happy for him. First, because he’s newly engaged with now fiancée, Cherry Seaborn and second, because he’s got some new Grammys to add to his collection.

7. Janelle Monae’s speech

Janelle Monae is just one of my favorite people in Hollywood. She’s a singer, actress, style icon, and now activist? Yes, she made a speech to introduce Kesha’s epic performance with a few words concerning the #MeToo Movement. What really got me was when she said, “Time’s Up,” which is already empowering, but to say “Time’s Up” with the overall treatment of women in the workforce takes that phrase to another level of power.

8. Camila Cabello

I may or may not have Camila Cabello’s solo album as part of my daily playlist these days, but I will say that I’m starting to really become a fan of hers. She may have not won or even been nominated this year, but mark my words, she will be up there next year. #Grammys19

9. The fashion

I’m the last person to ask about fashion, but even I can say that everyone was on point and giving it to the gods in terms of the latest trends. I especially loved Camila Cabello’s red strapless number, Hailee Steinfeld’s purple boots, SZA’s lacy dress and DJ Khaled and Assad’s matching father-son suits, to name a few.

10. James Corden

Okay, I can’t complete this list without mentioning the host of the night, my man James Corden. Seriously, he did a fantastic job hosting. I loved his jokes and intros throughout the night. I watched his show after the Grammys and he talked about Trump’s reaction towards the award show which was pure gold.

The Grammy Awards this year was definitely a night to remember and although some of my favorite artists didn’t go home with an award, they’re still a winner in my eyes. I can’t wait to see next year’s award show.

––Kiana Tjerrell

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus