The Lalapolaroid Camera Pink Bag
The Lalapolaroid Camera Pink Bag
Her Campus Media

Your 2023 Summer Guide to Fort Worth!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As the summer quickly approaches, it’s time to start making those summer plans! If you’re planning on visiting the Fort Worth metroplex this summer, I’ve gathered all my top picks that you need to add to your bucket list!

Cinema

Coyote Drive-In

Interested in watching this summer’s blockbuster films from the comfort of your car? Coyote Drive-In, located in Fort Worth, offers just that! With the city as your backdrop, you can watch this summer’s most anticipated movies without leaving the driver’s seat! 

This makes for such a fun cinema experience, with picnic tables and open-lawn spaces open for spending time with friends. If you’re in Fort Worth, make sure to add Coyote Drive-in to your bucket list! 

Rooftop Cinema Club

This newest cinema experience is located right in the heart of downtown Fort Worth! While enjoying city views, you can watch movies on the big screen using personal headphones to hear the audio. 

Rooftop Cinema Club shows hundreds of movies, from new releases to classics. To find out which movie will be playing each night and to buy tickets, you can visit their website here

Daily Activities

Bolder Adventure Park

Located in Grand Prairie, Bolder Adventure Park makes a great way to spend a summer day! The indoor park allows an escape from the heat while providing a full day of fun. 

The park offers rock climbing, zip-lining, obstacle courses, ice skating, a free-fall experience and more! Be sure to check out their website to grab your tickets! 

Forth Worth Zoo

If you live in Fort Worth, you know the Fort Worth Zoo is a city-wide favorite! Located near TCU, the Fort Worth Zoo is a fantastic way to spend a day. During the summer, they also offer discounted days for tickets!

At the zoo, you will have the opportunity to feed some giraffes! With the births of new animals in the zoo, you also may have the chance to see a baby gorilla or elephant!

Free Play Arcade

A summer trip back in time to the ’80s? Sign me up!

Free Play Arcade has locations in five different cities: Fort Worth, Arlington, Denton, Richardson and Dallas. Filled with old arcade games, you can try your skill at Pac-Man, Galaga and much more!

At the location in Fort Worth, Free Play also has a great rooftop view, so be sure to check that out!

Inspiration Alley and Vintage Shopping

If you’re looking for a spot to see beautiful murals and snap some cute pictures, add Inspiration Alley to your bucket list! Located behind Doc’s Record and Vintage in Fort Worth, you can enjoy the colorful murals and go vintage shopping afterward, making this a great day trip!

Meow Wolf

Meow Wolf is an immersive art exhibit set to open in Grapevine this summer! This art experience has been talked about widely on social media and looks to be a great place to take some pictures! 

Although there isn’t a set date for its opening, be sure to monitor their website for the official opening announcement. 

Record Shopping

As an avid music listener, I love spending time in record shops! I’ve gathered three shops I enjoy visiting that you should check out if you’re in the Fort Worth area this summer!

The Trails at Eagle Mountain Park

If you’re looking for a hiking experience near Fort Worth, the trails at Eagle Mountain Park are great to hike during early summer mornings. There are six different trails, each about five miles long. It’s completely free to hike, and you can catch some amazing lake views! 

Make sure to check out their website before visiting to choose which trail works best for you! 

Festivals

Concerts in the Garden

If you’re looking for the opportunity to hear some music in a unique way this summer, Concerts in the Garden are a great idea! From May 26 to June 11, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra will play one concert weekly in the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. 

Each week has a different theme, such as a Star Wars night or a Led Zeppelin night, so be sure to check out their website to learn more! Some shows may include awesome light displays as well! 

Mayfest Fort Worth

Looking to spend some time outside in the next week or to spend some time away from the finals grind? The Fort Worth Mayfest will be held close to TCU from May 4 to May 7, with free admission on May 4. 

Held along the Trinity River, this festival has everything: live music, performing arts groups, carnival rides, an art and gift market, festival food, rock climbing and more! To buy tickets, visit their website here!

Water Lantern Festival

The Water Lantern Festival is a beautiful way to live your Tangled dreams in real life! On June 24 at the Panther Island Pavilion in Fort Worth, festival-goers have the opportunity to create and release their own lanterns on the Trinity River!

You can buy tickets by visiting their website here!

Wildflower! Arts and Music Festival

The Wildflower! Arts and Music Festival is a music festival in Richardson, Texas that typically sees a turnout of about 70,000 people. Headlined by the X Ambassadors this year, this festival will showcase dozens of artists from May 19 to May 21. In addition to the music, festival-goers can also see street performers and shop from local vendors, making this a great way to spend a summer day!

Food

Beth Marie’s OLD-FASHIONED Ice Cream

In search of the best ice cream in the DFW metroplex? Look no further than Beth Marie’s Old Fashioned Ice Cream, located in Denton, Texas! Operating since 1998, Beth Marie’s offers over 150 different flavors of ice cream, all made in-house. 

In addition to ice cream, Beth Maries serves fresh cookies, hot chocolate, and shakes, perfect to satisfy your summer sweet tooth! 

Britt’s Sno house and shaved ice

Located in Colleyville, Texas, Britt’s Sno House and Shaved Ice offers delicious snow cones and shaved ice at an affordable price. Customers can choose between four sizes, customizing their flavor combinations or choosing from the many pre-set combinations. The company also makes all of its syrups in-house, so you can be assured that the ingredients are fresh. With the brutal heat during Texas summers, a snow cone from Britt’s Sno House is the perfect treat on a hot day!

I recommend trying the “Super Sunset” with added cream! 

In addition to their delicious snow cones, Britt’s Sno House has a top-tier marketing strategy!
Del campo Empanadas

I absolutely love empanadas, and Del Campo Empanadas has the best empanadas in the DFW metroplex! Del Campo serves mouth-watering Argentine empanadas that are handmade and cooked fresh! 

Originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, Leo and Andrea opened Del Campo in Fort Worth in 2020. In addition to the Fort Worth location, there is another location in Flower Mound. 

Del Campo was named a “Top 100 Restaurant” by Yelp Reviews, and with a friendly staff and perfect ambiance, it’s not hard to see why! If you’re in the Fort Worth area for the summer, make sure to add a stop at Del Campo to your bucket list!

Delucca gaucho pizza

Did anyone say all-you-can-eat pizza? This Brazilian pizza restaurant offers meatballs, soup, salad, and, you guessed it, unlimited pizza of all different kinds during your visit! Located near TCU, Delucca Gaucho Pizza is a great restaurant for a date night or a dinner with friends.

Delucca is extremely affordable for the amount of food you’ll receive! Each adult pays $24.95, covering everything on the menu! Make sure, however, to pace yourself and save room for the dessert pizzas. The dulce de leche pizza is fantastic!

Dusty Biscuit Beignets

Dusty Biscuits Beignets has quickly become a go-to spot for my friends and me, offering a delicious, cheap treat for college students! Located off of South Main Street in Fort Worth, Dusty Biscuits is close to TCU. They serve a wide variety of beignets as well as unique monthly specials. 

Dusty Biscuits has also racked up several awards in the past year, including “Best New Restaurant,” awarded by Texas Monthly. If you’re in Fort Worth, make sure to plan a stop here!

Pizzeria Testa

If you’re planning on attending a soccer game or concert at Toyota Stadium in Frisco this summer, you need to add Pizzeria Testa to your bucket list! The perfect dinner before an event, Pizzeria Testa is located conveniently in Frisco’s town square, with Toyota Stadium easily within walking distance. 

Named the “Best Pizza in DFW” by the Dallas Morning News, Pizzeria Testa serves delicious wood-fired pizza, pasta and other Italian treats. If the weather is nice, you can enjoy your meal on a beautiful covered patio. 

When you visit, I recommend trying the Pesto or Margherita pizza! 

Weinberger’s Deli

Recently named the best deli in Texas, Weinberger’s Deli offers a wide range of menu options for every person, with over 100 sandwiches to choose from. Close to Fort Worth, Weinberger’s Deli serves Chicago-style sandwiches with everything made in-house.

This shop is always busy, so make sure to visit early in the day to avoid the crowds!

Sports

F.C. Dallas

The closest MLS team to Fort Worth, attending an F.C. Dallas game is the best way to spend a summer evening! F.C. Dallas plays at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. Tickets are usually relatively affordable, and in addition to watching DFW’s home soccer team, you can also visit the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame.

F.C. Dallas also hosts special events at some of their games, including fireworks and drone shows! More information can be found on their website.

Frisco RoughRiders

Frisco is known for its abundance of opportunities to see different sports games, including baseball games! Riders Field, formerly known as Dr. Pepper Ballpark, is home to the Frisco RoughRiders, an AA minor league team affiliated with the Texas Rangers. 

Fans can watch a game from the comfort of their seats or choose a unique viewing experience – watching the game from a lazy river! Riders Field has a lazy river in the right-field area of the ballpark, offering the best escape from the summer heat!

The RoughRiders also host occasional fireworks nights after the game has concluded. You can find more information by clicking here!

Texas Rangers

As a die-hard Dodger baseball fan, it pains me to make this suggestion, but the Fort Worth sports section wouldn’t be complete without it! For anyone looking to catch an MLB game in the metroplex, the Texas Rangers’ home field is located in Arlington, Texas. The roof is retractable, offering a way to escape the summer heat!

If you visit, I have only one favor to ask: Make sure to cheer extra loud for former Dodgers player Corey Seager when he returns from the IL!