This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I believe in worn tennis shoes. The smelly, muddy, slouchy shoes are my instant heaven. You see, tennis shoes are not just regular shoes—they’re cool, versatile shoes. They can be worn with a t-shirt or with a sweater. They can be worn in the summer or the winter. They can be a variety of colors or just simply plain. But I believe in worn tennis shoes. Tennis shoes that have a flush bottom from wear and tear. Tennis shoes that have old shoe laces which constantly unlace. I believe in the tennis shoes that have paint stains, mud stains, and grass stains. 

My mom and I are extremely close. She is the only person who understands my love for fitness. My mom goes to the gym five days a week. Health and fitness is something she taught me to be important at a young age. She told me to exercise not only because it will make me feel good, but because it will keep me healthy. So, my worn tennis shoes remind me of my mom. She pushes me to do my best, to put in the most effort I can, and to overall have a productive day, every day. My worn tennis shoes remind me of the many days of the year that we would sweat it out together. I wouldn’t trade my worn tennis shoes or our bond for the world. 

Travel is something I was raised to know as normal. My mom was a flight attendant when I was born and I went on my first plane at just six weeks old. I like to wear tennis shoes on airplanes. Not only are they comfortable while traveling, but they remind me of the places I have been. They are the one piece of clothing that I bring on every adventure. The ripped sole reminds me of the hike in Hawaii. The muddy laces remind me of the wet day in St. John. The scratch on the top reminds me of the time I walked through Central Park in New York. These worn tennis shoes take me back to a time when I was with people I love in a place that I love. They are my souvenir and my most loyal keepsake.

The sole of my tennis shoes are like the soul of my heart. I know every time I put them on that I am about to create another memory. My tennis shoes are what I believe to be sacred ground. They remind me of the people I love, the places I’ll go, and the things I’ll do. Worn tennis shoes are not meant to be replaced but to be worn. I believe in wearing tennis shoes until there are holes in the bottom…when you will finally accept the fact that it’s time for a new beginning. 

Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.