Tristyn Naile: A Day in the Life of a Desk Assistant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Name: Tristyn Naile

Major: Business and Spanish

Hometown: Dallas, Texas

Q: What are the main tasks of a desk asistant (DA)?

A: “The main tasks of a DA are basically just to provide good customer service to the students and any visitors in the dorm. We help students with lockouts and maintenance requests, but mainly just make sure the hall is an open and inviting environment for everyone.”

Q: What is the best part about your job?

A: “The best part about my job is being able to build a great community in the dorm. I meet someone new almost every day and have made lots of new friendships by just sitting at the desk.”

Q: What clubs/organizations are you involved in?

A: “I am in La Mesa Hispanica, the Spanish club here, Women’s’ Business Network and Read 2 Win, which is an organization that helps elementary students in the area learn how to read in Spanish.”

Q: How is a DA different from an RA?

A: “Being a DA is a lot more laid back than an RA. We only work about 8 hours a week whereas being an RA is almost a full time job. DA’s just work to make sure everything is running smoothly in the dorm while RA’s are more focused on the students.”

Q: Does being a DA get in the way of your social life/academics?

A: “Definitely not. I only work about 2 hours a day so I have plenty of time for social activities. If anything it helps with my academics because I can sit and do my homework while I’m working until I am needed for something.”

Minneapolis, Minnesota TCU class of 2020 Business/Psychology TCU Phi Mu
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.