Life > Experiences

The Top 6 Best Movies to Watch with Your BFFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Get in loser, we are going to go watch some movies! 

(If you know what I am trying to refer to here, thank you. You are not a loser!)

I have always been a movie lover and pridefully classify myself as a movie-watching expert. I am a lover of all kinds of genres, but romance and rom-coms are definitely my go-tos. So, with that in mind, here are the top six movies I would recommend for a girl’s night full of binge-watching some classic films to make you feel good.

Grab your popcorn, best friends, and favorite snacks, and let’s begin!

Selective Focus Photography of Popcorns
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

#1: How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

This is the perfect movie to watch to set unrealistic relationship goals, a common habit of mine. Who doesn’t love the Texan hunk, Mr. Matthew McConaughey? This movie is about a young woman named Andie, played by Kate Hudson, who writes for Composure (kind of like Cosmopolitan). For one of her feature stories, she is to meet a random guy, sweep him off his feet, make him fall head over heels for her, and then get him to drop her in 10 days. (Amazing, right?) Viewers watch as Andie meets Ben (Matthew’s character) and their love story unfolds. 

Again, one of my go-to rom-coms for a night of stuffing my face with chocolate and popcorn while reminiscing on my past relationships.

#2: John Tucker Must Die

Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Almost everybody I know has a toxic ex or someone else that has screwed them over; I know I do! So, what better way to get over it than getting revenge? This movie is perfect for the girls that just want to take their anger out by getting the most embarrassing revenge on the boy that broke their heart. This movie is about a band of girls who were all cheated on by the same boy, John Tucker (played by Jesse Metcalfe). Now, this is not an action movie where someone actually gets hurt; it instead uses cheeky jokes and pranks to get back at John.

This is definitely a movie full of good laughs–and ideas on how to get revenge on the guy who broke your heart.

#3: Mamma Mia (1 & 2)

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

For all my musical fans, you are the Dancing Queen if you enjoy movies like this. I think this one is pretty self-explanatory, as this is a classic binge-watch film. The music, the characters, the set, the design–absolutely everything is pure art. Centered around the album of famous 1970s group, ABBA, Mamma Mia follows the characters of the mother-daughter duo, Donna and Sophie (played by Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried), as they go throughout Greece and try to get through Sophie’s wedding. With the twists and turns of trying to find out who her real dad is, Sophie has many dilemmas!

You can grab your microphones and sing your heart out like the Dancing Queen that you are when you watch this movie. With loveable music and characters, this movie is bound to make you and your BFFs want to perform Super Trouper in glittery outfits and heels.

#4: Ocean’s 8

Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Do you want to watch a movie that makes you feel like a boss? Well, then this is the one for you. Now, the Ocean’s movies have been famous for years and years (thanks to George Clooney), but this 2018 version is groundbreaking. A group of powerful women join together to fool the workers of the Met Gala to steal millions and millions of dollars. And what better way to do that than by getting all dressed up and having fun while doing so? It has amazing actresses such as Sandra Bullock, Anna Hathaway, Cate Blanchett, and many more notable female actresses. For me personally, after watching this movie I considered becoming a thief…

Just kidding.

I know that this is not a rom-com, yet I would definitely qualify this film as a must-watch for those with a more mysterious side.

#5: Dirty Dancing

Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

I am going to be completely honest here, but this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey did an incredible job with their performance, leaving audiences with really high standards for romance. Can I meet a professional ballroom dancer and fall in love?

Set in the 60s but filmed in the late 80s, Dirty Dancing in all of its nostalgia will forever be one of my favorites. The soundtrack is just beautiful and again, I want to dance in the rain with a dude like Swayze. 

#6: The Devil Wears Prada

Rating: ☆☆☆☆

This is my second film listed here that features the absolute queens themselves, Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. This movie is bound to make you want to move to NYC and explore a career in fashion. Even though Streep’s character, Miranda Priestly, scares the bejeezus out of me, it would still be enthralling. Who wouldn’t love having a right-hand man like Stanley Tucci’s character, Nigel, helping you survive the fashion world?

This is a movie to watch if you are wanting to take yourself to NYC and explore the streets in your newest heeled boots carrying your Starbucks coffee to your high fashion job. No biggie.

That concludes a few of the best movies to watch for a girl’s night. Enjoy!

Payton Dennis is a senior at Texas Christian University, studying Strategic Communications and Digital Culture and Data Analytics. She is from Houston, TX and spends her time working out, watching the newest (and oldest) movies, binge-watching Sex and the City, updating her social media pages, and so much more!