Life > High School

Three Things You Wouldn’t Think Matter When Picking a College (But They Do)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As a freshman in high school, I was sure that national rank was the most important part of choosing a college. I was all about the top 50 schools, extracurriculars that looked good on a resume (but made me cry), and AP/Honors classes. I soon realized, maybe after my body and mind did, that striving for rank could string you out, leaving your 17-year-old self tired and sad.

It was not until the second semester of my senior year (yes, really that long) that I maturely recognized that the best school for me was the school I, well, liked.

So, if you are staring at acceptance letters (actually a great problem to have, I promise) and can’t seem to decide, here are three things to consider.

1. The people that go there

It sounds simple, but if you visited, did you meet potential friends or struggle to relate to other students? If you did not have a chance to visit your potential(s), you can always go to social media to get a feel of the social scene. But, beware you don’t judge a school by a few student posts. I find that the values a school’s social media emphasizes are a good bet as to what the administration values. Are the popular events arts, sports, or culturally oriented? Are social events or the study scene emphasized? You have to be realistic and ask yourself if you will feel a sense of belonging. For example, if school spirit is important to your sense of belonging, don’t go to a school where students don’t show up to games.

Maybe it’s an unfortunate fact, but universities rarely change. They are dredged in their traditions. So, if you don’t feel a connection, you probably won’t develop one.  

1. The support systems available to you

As a high school burnout, it was important to me that my college experience was different. I wanted to be sure that when I was exhausted and confused hundreds of miles from home, I had the support of my school to keep me happy and on track. Look into the clubs, activities, mental health services, and advising programs. College is a great chance to set up healthy habits for the rest of your life. Don’t get me wrong, it’s by no means the only chance. Still, the right group of people around you can make or break your college experience. 

School clubs can be a great chance to find your friends, find purpose, and express yourself. Without these outlets, school can feel like constant studying. Clubs give you an opportunity to pour yourself into causes and passions you care about. Do you like the options at your possible universities?

Not only activities, but college advisors and mentors can mean a lot when it comes to succeeding in university. Colleges usually post their statistics on the number of advisors to students. This could not be more important. Advisors will make sure you graduate on time, pursue your passions, and achieve your goals.

Another thing to consider is the college’s mental health services. If you feel you could benefit from counseling or therapy, these built-into-tuition programs can be wonderful. Please, consider your mental health wherever you end up going to school!

1. The food and your on-campus health

I know, it seems obvious or something you can work around. Remember that the cliche “freshman fifteen” is not just about gaining weight. With the stress of school and dining halls feeling like a food desert, some students lose weight. If the food offered won’t keep you full and healthy, maybe consider other solutions or cross the school off your list altogether.

Don’t forget how important maintaining health is to academic success. If you’re feeling poorly and can’t get to class, what happens? Is a healthy lifestyle encouraged? Does the school have walking trails, a recreation center, or even comfortable dorm beds? These things matter because while you may spend 12-15 hours in class every week, you will spend *maybe* four times that asleep on your dorm bed. 

I hope these overlooked factors will help you narrow down your college options. Although the stress of deciding can feel like too much, remember the achievements and privileges that have led to your current opportunities. College, with all its chaos, is a life-changing opportunity.

Eliza is the Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus at Texas Christian University. She is currently a sophomore studying writing on the pre-law track with minors in speech language pathology, Italian and political science.