This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

It’s the last week of the Texas State Fair, so if you haven’t gone yet, here are some tips to get the most bang for your buck!

Healthy is just another 7 letter word: If you’re looking for a salad at the fair, I can guarantee they won’t have it; however, they have a lot of new items on the list worth giving a try. This year’s winner is the smoky bacon margarita, with close contenders being the Holy Moly Carrot Cake Roly and a fried hamburger basket. If you’re like me and like to play it on the safe side, there are three items that my family and I have been getting since I was in the womb: Fletcher’s famous corny dogs, Jack Fries, and funnel cakes. There is definitely a little something for everyone, from turkey legs to corn on the cob, it is best to give yourself a calorie cheat day because as wise words once said, YOLO.

Chevys main stage entertainment: This stage towards the back of the fair always brings a crowd. If you’re not into country, no need to worry! The Texas State Fair brings different artists to please people of all ages and genres. Best thing to hear for us college students? The concerts are not an extra fee from your ticket. They are absolutely free, just be sure to get there at a good time if you want a good spot because all tickets are standing general admission.

Youre bound to find something you want to do: Most fairs consist of rides and games, and while we do have that in the section called Midway, our fair is not limited to that. Besides Midway, we have Kidsway for the little ones, and Thrillway for any serious risk takers. There is also a livestock petting zoo, along with pig, dog, and even horse shows. To take a break from this wonderful Texas heat, you can go inside the many museums, shopping centers, auto show rooms, and even an art awards center with a butter sculpture. And yes, I just said butter sculpture.

The best for last: These two are probably the staple and icons to the State Fair, Big Tex and the Ferris wheel.  Nothing makes me smile more than hearing Big Tex say, “Howdy Folks!” Granted when I was younger he used to creep me out a bit, but nothing says State Fair of Texas like Big Tex himself. It is also said that the Ferris wheel, the Texas Star, is the largest in North America. Although the wait is long, it is totally worth it if you’re patient enough, especially at night. It can overlook not only the entire fair, but Downtown Dallas as well.

Whether you’re a newcomer or have been going since birth, the State Fair will never disappoint and there is always something that will draw you back next year.

Photo Sources:

1: Mia Carrera, 2, 3

Dallas, TX born and raised! Sophomore at Texas Christian University, and aspiring Graphic Designer. One day hopes to be a publisher or editor in either fashion, interior, or wedding magazines!