Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

Sorority Initiation: A Reminder of How Special Sisterhood Is

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As sorority initiation approaches for many chapters nationally, a feeling of sentimentality covers the Panhellenic community. Members of each chapter grow quiet with secrets, and new members grow in excitement to join a lifelong sisterhood.

Looking back on my initiation into Kappa Alpha Theta in the fall of 2019, my heart swells with joy. I vividly remember how excited my chapter was not only to make me a sister but also to share with me the secrets that bind them together. Being welcomed into an organization that cares about you personally is so unique. Your sisters support you through thick and thin, becoming your biggest cheerleader and your shoulder to cry on. While each woman has her own interests and passions, the strength of the bond between each overcomes this.

Additionally, being an initiated member of a sorority connects you with generations of women. Each member of your sorority, past and present, has held the same initiation and participated in the same rituals. This commonality allows members to feel connected to other chapters and women of all ages within their sorority. Personally, I love meeting Theta alumnae and hearing about their time within their chapter.

Overall, I encourage each of you to take some time to reflect on what it means to be in a sorority and the history of your chapter. This experience is so special, and initiation is a great time to reflect on that.

Madelene Riche is a junior student studying Speech-Language Pathology with a minor in Child Development. An Arkansas native, she loves exploring Texas and country/western dancing. Riche also loves to travel and spend time with friends.