Ryker Thompson – Student Body VP of Operations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Meet Ryker Thompson, your Student Body Vice President of Operations. Ryker took the time between classes and coordinating awesome activities to answer these questions for us!

Hometown: Stephenville, Texas

Major: Finance

Minor: Political Science

Graduating Class: 2017

Q: As VP of Operations, what is your main role on campus?

A: “The main job of VP of Operations is to coordinate the internal activities of SGA.  So organizing logistics of SGA projects such as: holiday break shuttles, fall concert, SGA website, and Scantron distribution.  My goal is to link all branches (Executive, Legislative, Judicial, and Programming) of SGA.”  

Q: What inspired you to run for VP of Operations?

A: “I believe SGA makes a significant impact on students’ experiences at TCU.  I realized SGA was something that gave me a lot of unique opportunities to do big things for other students.  I was involved in the House of Representatives during my freshman and sophomore year, and I really enjoyed my experience and wanted to get more involved with SGA.”

Q: What accomplishment so far as VP of Operations are you most proud of?

A: “There are several projects that the entire cabinet team has worked on that have been really exciting.  One thing I am proud to have an impact on is the campus watch parties for away TCU football games.  There have been two successful away game viewings that have provided many students an exciting place to watch the game.  I enjoy the game day atmosphere on campus and creating a small feel of that for away game days is exciting for me.” 

Q: What else do you hope to accomplish this year?

A: “There are several projects that I am working on with other members of SGA, such as Frog Aides (members of the freshman leadership development program) and Outreach committee, that I would like to see completed this semester.  One of those projects is the faculty appreciation program that periodically acknowledges faculty, staff or administration that have made a difference in the student experience.  The program is in the developing stage but has the potential to allow many students to acknowledge faculty, staff, and administrators that do small things that make the TCU community better.

I would like to see the community and atmosphere on campus be as strong in the spring semester as it is in the fall.  Football and things like the fall concert that bring the student body together create a great atmosphere. I would like to see that same feel be created in the spring.  I think SGA has the realistic ability to create that.”

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to take on a similar position or become more involved in SGA?

A: “I am always happy to talk with someone who is interested in SGA, because it has been such an awarding experience for me.  If SGA interest you, get more involved or take a leadership role.  It is an awesome experience to see a student’s idea that you put effort into come to fruition.” 

Photo courtesy of Ryker Thompson

My name is Jordyn and I am currently a junior Film, TV, and Digital Media major, Business minor here at TCU. My hobbies include crafting, playing ukulele, and watching videos of goats. I love all things fashion, decorating, and TCU! Go Frogs!