This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I’ve never been one for scary movies. Horror films genuinely terrify me, and even as a fresh 21-year-old, I always get nightmares after watching them. This fear directly contrasts with my deep love for Halloween.

Dressing up as whoever or whatever you wish to be for a night, gorging yourself on sweet candy, and adventuring with your friends as a kid made Halloween one of my all-time favorite holidays. It was low pressure and extremely fun, and to me, kicked off the holiday season before Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled around. I loved picking my costume each year, taking photos with my friends, and running to the big houses that gave away full-sized candy bars.

Although Halloween and its traditions change as we get older, I haven’t lost my childish love for Halloween. One tradition that hasn’t worn away with the test of time is my commitment to watching Disney Halloween movies. What better way to get in the spooky spirit than to watch some harmlessly hilarious Disney movies? Plus, the major perk is enjoying the holiday season without experiencing mortal terror.

As we count down to Halloween, I thought I would do a favor to all my fellow anti-horror people and compile a list of my favorite classic Disney Halloween movies! Feel free to explore the rankings and watch a few (or all of them) for yourself this scary season! (NOTE: I will only be ranking films I’ve seen!)

8. Frankenweenie (2012)

This Tim Burton classic claymation movie follows a young Victor Frankenstein who, in a wave of grief, conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog, Sparky, back to life. This falls near the end of my list because it is the “scariest” of the eight films listed. While stylistically interesting and deeply emotional, this stop-motion horror film leans into Halloween’s dark side. I remember watching it as a kid and being horrified at the supposedly heartfelt connection between Victor and Sparky. Just so the viewers know, it’s almost never a good idea to revive the dead. Frankenweenie is best for fans of Tim Burton (of course) and those looking for a spookier watch.

7. Spooky Buddies (2011)

Jumping from scary to downright adorable, Spooky Buddies added to the beloved series of dog adventures. It’s silly and sweet, and who doesn’t want to see little puppies in cute costumes trying to rescue Halloween? While not the most innovative or well-made film Disney has ever created, it is an enjoyable throwback watch for someone who enjoys the childish aspects of Halloween.

6. Invisible Sister (2015)

Invisible Sister follows teen siblings Cleo and Molly. Cleo, a young, antisocial scientist, feels overshadowed by her elder sister Molly’s social and athletic success. In a botched school project, Cleo turns a moth invisible, loses said moth, and Molly manages to ingest the bug, causing her to turn invisible as well. Wild and naturally unbelievable, this film has its flaws, but I still love it. It’s an emotional story about the relationship between these sisters, forcing them to stand in one another’s shoes for the duration of the movie. The characters are heartwarming, and it reminds me so much of my little sister and me! Definitely recommend adding this underrated film to your Halloween watch list.

5. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

I know this is a hot debate, but Nightmare Before Christmas is and always has been a Halloween film, NOT a Christmas movie. Another Tim Burton success, the movie follows Jack Skellington as he undergoes an identity crisis. King of Halloween Town, Jack discovers Christmas Town and attempts to bring the holiday to his own world, much to their own detriment. I have such a love/hate relationship with this movie. It’s an undeniable classic and a Halloween must-watch, but it does get creepy and strange at times. I think it’s incredibly creative and well-made, with complex characters and a compelling plot, but it gives me the creeps(!) so I have to rank other films a bit higher.

4. Twitches & Twitches too (2005 & 2007)

I cannot explain how much I unironically love this series. The rhyming spells, the dramatic twin dynamic, and the secret magical world take me right back to my childhood. The Twitches movies are absolutely hilarious, and while they attempt to make the stakes high, you can’t help but simply enjoy the ride with a smile. Now, these are some of the worst special effects you will ever see, but you have to look past them. Selfishly, I turned 21 this year also and am still holding out hope that I’ll find a long-lost magical twin and discover I’m a princess in a new world…

3. Halloweentown Series (1998, 2001, 2004, 2006)

Admittedly, this series has its good installations and its bad ones, but as a whole, they encompass Halloween nostalgia for so many of us. The series has four installations: Halloweentown (1998), Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001), Halloweentown High (2004), and Return to Halloweentown (2006). Marnie’s journey to becoming a witch and her family’s crazy interactions with various elements of Halloweentown over time make for an entertaining and spooky series. The betrayals, the high school drama, the magical mysteries, the creative creatures, the character growth (literally, they get so tall over the years), and the arguably horrible yet endearing plots land the Halloweentown series in my top three watches for the season. At the very least, watch the first one…

2. Girl vs Monster (2012)

This is a classic. The soundtrack? The romance? The casting? The plot? I mean come on! I adore Girl vs. Monster for so many reasons. Our main character Skylar has no fear. She conquers her life without any anxiety at all. Turns out, she’s not a human anomaly. Her parents are monster hunters and have trapped the demon responsible for Skylar’s fear. When this monster is accidentally released, Skylar must combat 15 years’ worth of fear in a single Halloween. This movie is action-packed and pulls you in for every moment. I love the concept of battling your fears by facing them and growing to understand that fear keeps you safe, but also helps you grow. The physical manifestations of the character’s fears alongside the killer songs and high-quality acting (for a Disney movie at least) place this movie in my top two! You have to watch it.

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

This should come as no surprise, but Hocus Pocus sits proudly in the top spot as my all-time favorite Disney Halloween movie. Speaking only of the first film and not its recent modern sequel, this movie is hilarious and fun, and I always have the best time watching it. This film is the perfect mix of Halloween lore, invoking the Salem witch trials alongside classic myths like the talking black cat. I love how this main cast of characters is a mix of teenager and kid, outsider and local, and even human and talking cat! With the best plot and most talented actors, Hocus Pocus is an unbeatable Halloween classic that you must watch every year.

Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!