To the Pledge Class of 2016: Life after Bid Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Dear PC ‘16~

First off- Congratulations! After a long and stressful week, you finally found your house. Bid day can be a mixed bag for many girls: some don’t get their top choice, some do, and then there were girls like me. Freshman year, I knew the house I wanted from day one. It was my top choice all week, and they ended up wanting me too. I was absolutely ecstatic.

. . .Until the next day. From the day after Bid Day until the day before initiation I second-guessed my decision. I felt like I had nothing in common with these girls and that I was only given a bid because I was a legacy. I didn’t feel the connection I thought I would and it was sending me into panic mode.

It took me until a few months ago to realize where the majority of that fear came from. After all the glitter, sparkles, hugs, cowboy boots, and adrenaline of bid day and recruitment week wears off, a new lovely little week comes along- syllabus week.

I never went to parties in high school and I wasn’t planning to go out any time soon. When I saw that literally everyone and their mothers were going out, getting smashed, and having fun every single night of syllabus week, it sent me running. I felt so introverted and so lonely. I called my mom in tears. If THIS was what being in a sorority was about, I wanted to drop as soon as possible. She urged me to wait and to get to know more of the girls. She reminded me of how hard I had worked to get where I was and to give it a little more time. After syllabus week passed, things really calmed down. As more time went on, I met new and amazing girls that had been feeling the same way I did!

I got my big, I found my best friend who I am now living in the sorority house with, I participated in events my chapter threw, and my family increased by 300 amazing sisters. I found my place. It wasn’t easy and it took me a while. There were many stressful days and sleepless nights, but I ended up realizing the love I had for the girls that picked me, and in the end, I picked them too.

So yes, these next couple of months may be hard. You may be unsure of whether you’re in the right place or not. You may feel left out, you may feel awkward, and you may get upset. Just know that the girl sitting a few seats down from you at chapter probably feels the exact same way.

Love always,

PC ‘15

Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.