Need a Mood Booster? Here Are 8 Essential Songs That You Need to Add To Your Happy Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

From oldies to pop hits, I listen to music from all kinds of different genres. I strongly believe that music plays a big role in the way we view the world around us. I always listen to music that builds me up and motivates me to be who I am. It is scientifically proven that music has certain qualities to release feel-good chemicals in your brain that boost your mood. In short, the power of music contributes to your overall well-being. I don’t know about you, but I am constantly adding to my “Happy” playlist. If you are looking to create a “Happy” playlist, here are 8 essential songs that you need to add!

“Don’t worry, be happy” by bobby mcferrin

“Don’t Worry, Be Happy” is a calming song that puts me at ease every time I listen to it. McFerrin sings, “In every life, we have some trouble/But when you worry, you make it double/Don’t worry, be happy.” In these lyrics, McFerrin touches on how worrying leads to thoughts of uncertainty and stress. If you don’t worry, you will be happy! I know, it’s easier said than done, but focus on the happy aspects of your life. It does wonders.

“Good Sh*T happens” by michael franti & Spearhead

“Good Sh*t Happens” is a relatable song that begins with a hypothetical domino effect of events, otherwise known as bad sh*t. Despite the bad sh*t, Franti sings, “There’s so much drama in this great big life/And I would never try to offer you advice/But if there’s just one thing that I could share with you/It’s that bad sh*t happens but good sh*t happens too.” Even though life is full of many ups and downs, it is full of more good sh*t than bad sh*t. The bad sh*t is temporary; it’s what you make of the good sh*t that drives your life forward. Franti continues to sing, “Life goes quickly so take it slow.” Even during the bad moments in life, you need to remember to live in the moment and focus on the good sh*t in your life!

“Dog days are over” by Florence and the machine

“Dog Days Are Over” is one of my all-time favorite songs. It was actually my high school senior quote! The message behind the lyrics is so powerful. Lead singer Florence Welch sings, “Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father/Run for your children, for your sisters and brothers/Leave all your love and your longing behind/You can’t carry it with you, if you want to survive/The dog days are over.” These lyrics hint that people such as your mother, father, sisters and brothers believe in you to find the freedom to run and chase your dreams. When the dog days are over, happiness floods into your life, enabling you to be free and run like there’s no tomorrow.

“Find Your People” by Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors

“Find Your People” is a wholesome song that depicts what it feels like to be surrounded by your people, or as Holcomb puts it, “The ones that make you feel whole.” Holcomb sings, “You got to find your people then you’ll find yourself.” Despite the trials and tribulations that life throws at you, your people will always have your back and never leave your side. You are who you surround yourself with. So when you find your people, you will find yourself.

“Brighter than the sun” by Colbie Caillat

“Brighter Than the Sun” is a song that I keep close to my heart. I was always told to shine my light everywhere I go, and this song encapsulates just that. Caillat sings, “Oh, we could be the stars/Falling from the sky/Shining how we want/Brighter than the sun.” You have the power to shine your light however you want. Each one of us has our own special lights to shine, so keep on shining!

“My Life” by billy joel

“My Life” is a timeless oldie that offers wise advice about life. Nowadays, everyone gets caught up in the whirlwind of life that they tend to forget that they are in control. In other words, other people cannot control your life, you control your own life. Joel sings, “I don’t care what you say anymore, this is my life/Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone.” Live your life the way you want!

“Treat people with kindness” by Harry Styles

If I were a song, I would be “Treat People With Kindness.” That is my motto that I live by every single day! The chorus has to be my favorite part: “Maybe we can find a place to feel good! And we can treat people with kindness. Find a place to feel good.” In these lyrics, Styles notes that when someone is kind to somebody else, the person receiving the kindness feels good, as well as the person who spreads the kindness! Being kind is a win-win scenario where both people positively benefit!

“Unwritten” by Natasha bedingfield

“Unwritten” is an inspirational song with the underlying theme of writing your own story. Your life is full of different chapters where you are the author. Bedingfield puts it perfectly: “No one else, no one else/Can speak the words on your lips,” meaning that YOU are the only one who is in charge of your life story. Take life day by day and learn to live and love in each and every moment because “Today is where your book begins/The rest is still unwritten.” Where will your book take you next?

Perrin Gilman is a new member of Her Campus at the TCU chapter. She is beyond excited to immerse herself in something that will strengthen her passion for writing. She enjoys writing about positivity, mental health, and all things relatable to young women in today's society. Perrin is an aspiring broadcast journalist and is a sophomore at Texas Christian University. She is majoring journalism and double minoring in film and media studies and creative writing. Besides Her Campus, she is involved in the First-Year Experiences program and fulfilled her role as a Frog Camp facilitator this past summer, a long-lasting TCU tradition for incoming students. This coming summer, she will serve as a director on the Frog Camp Director Board. Perrin is a natural leader who always has a smile on her face. She is passionate about spreading positivity wherever she goes!