Natalie Kasling- “Embrace Where You Are”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Meet recent TCU grad, Natalie Kasling!

Name: Natalie Kasling

Graduating Year: 2015

Major/Minor: Secondary Education/ English

Hometown: Austin TX

Involvement on Campus: Chi Omega, K Life Ministry, Sigma Tau Delta 

Q: What made you choose TCU?

A: “I’ve always been drawn to smaller schools and communities. Being from Austin, I wanted to go to a college that was near home, but not actually home itself. I desire to live in a city, so at the end of the day TCU matched up perfectly for me. The community, the people, the class size, the environment and everything just seemed perfect.”

Q: What is your favorite college memory?

A: “When I turned 20, my sophomore year at TCU, I gave up my birthday hoping that my friends and family would stand by my side to build a water-well in Africa. I asked my friends to send me $20 instead of gifts, drinks or fancy dinners. To my surprise, my entire sorority, all my friends, and my entire family took action and did everything they could to make my wish come true. It takes $5,000 to make a well, and my friends and family made it possible to reach over $5,000. What an incredible time.” 

Q: What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

A: “Depends on how much time I actually have. In a perfect world I would spend all my spare time traveling- new countries, new people, new memories, seeing new things. I love being outside and or watching The Office. It’s essentially the best show in the world. I love to go on walks or bike to a friend’s house. I would definitely consider myself a social person. I enjoy being around others in my spare time.” 

Q: What are 3 things you couldn’t live without?

A: “Easy: My dog, my Bible, my passport.” 

Q: How much did your career path change over your 4 years at TCU?

A: “A million times. There was even a time I thought about going to medical school. I wanted to be a social worker, thought about being a therapist, looked into law school, and wondered what going into the business school would look like. At the end of the day I love kids, I love to help others so I figured teaching is my best bet. So I would say my career path changed over 10 to 100000 times.”  

Q: Where did you travel this summer?

A: “Ha- everywhere. I traveled over Europe, Asia, South East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. More specifically now, I went to…Madrid and Barcelona in Spain, Zurich, Switzerland and Interlaken; Amsterdam; Waterloo; Belgium; Dublin, Ireland; Beijing, China; Hong Kong, China; Phuket, Chiangmai, and Bangkok, Thailand; Cambodia (across the entire country); Vietnam (all over); Sydney, Australia; and last but not least Queenstown, New Zealand.”

Q: What was the most interesting, outrageous, or crazy thing that happened?

A: “Okay, this question definitely isn’t fair. Let’s see. I met people from all over the world, I learned about their lives, how they grew up and the cultural diversity of our world. I got my hands in the mix of the world and embraced everything about it. It was incredible interesting to learn where people came from, the differences in lifestyles and so much more. I’ll be more specific though: I SWAM WITH ELEPHANTS. In Thailand, I along with my three best friends swam with a baby elephant (who was still huge) and her mother. We drove around the mountains of Thailand and rode elephants and then they got into this river and we swam with them. Elephants are basically really, really big puppy dogs. They are so lovable and friendly. I cried because it’s the greatest thing we ever did. We also ate insects in Asia… really gross.”

Q: What are you doing now?

A: “I’m preparing to move to New York City in the next two weeks. I landed a job at a post production company and I’m going to be editing commercials. Ha, I’m not even teaching which was my career path. Life is so crazy. But yeah, I’m moving to NYC to start a life up in Manhattan working in film.” 

Q: Where do you see yourself in the next five years?

A: “I’ll be 28, so I would hope that my career has gotten bigger. I would hope to maybe be working with motion pictures and working with films in the movie industry. I hope to still be traveling frequently- seeing more of the world that I haven’t seen. I hope to maybe be dating someone or at least just have another dog. I hope to be having fun and enjoying what I’m actually doing. I hope a lot of things. At this one particular moment in time, I have to just hope that God is watching me closely and keeping me on the path that I should be on. So far that has worked.”

Q: What would you advise a current student at TCU?

A: “Chill out. Embrace where you are. Stop panicking about the exam next week and if you have a job. God is very real and puts you exactly where you need to be when the time is right. The world is a big place, but a small planet. People all over the world have stories; listen to them, learn from them, and trust your gut. When given the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone, don’t hesitate. Time here is short, and powerful. Use the time you have to push yourself. Challenge yourself with people and time. Allow yourself to be stressed for a short amount of time. College is only a moment compared to the rest of your life. I’m only 23 years old, and I’m not a philosopher, but I can say that in the four months that I have graduated from TCU, I’ve experienced much about life that is so real, deep and will be treasured. Take each day at a time. You’re where you are for a purpose and look forward to the happiness that you will bring. Be a member of the world and go see it. I traveled for a very short time, and thankfully was able to see as much as possible, however I only saw a glimpse. The world has so much to offer. Don’t take yourself too seriously; life is more fun that way. And of course, go frogs!”

Abby is a lover of all things involving corgis, Chipotle, and Dave Matthews Band. As a senior Communication Studies major and Business minor, she is President of the TCU Ad Association and member of Chi Omega where she is a mentor to the freshman class. Abby aspires to find a career in advertising, writing, or teaching and is an avid social media junky. Outside of writing for HC, you can find her downing a Venti Cold Brew from Starbucks, attempting to make it to the rec or pilates, or reading any piece of work by Amy Poehler, Lena Dunham, Tina Fey or any member of the girl squad that will one day run the world. Follow her on https://instagram.com/sisk_a_bob/ and https://twitter.com/abbz_babbz!