Style > Fashion

My Guide to The Perfect Sweater Weather Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

When it comes to fall attire, I am always either in a cute sweater and jeans outfit that I spent a solid hour and a half perfecting; or I am in sweatpants and a hoodie… there is simply no in-between. When I was walking around campus last year, I realized that next to no one was wearing any fall outfits, and I’m here to change that! Here are my go-to places to find good articles of clothing to make your wardrobe this fall look like you walked straight out of a Hallmark movie (in a good way).

1. Altar’d State 

I don’t know what it is about this store, but every time I walk in, I immediately start grabbing everything I can see. I have already purchased six sweaters from them for this season, and I honestly might get more (please withhold your judgment). They have a great selection of white and cream sweaters that are all different styles. These are perfect for putting over dresses or for pairing with a skirt and boots. My favorite sweater in their fall collection is the “Peyton Plaid Sweater” and I just bought it in the rust color. If you are shopping on their website, they have almost 300 sweaters to choose from! If you’re looking for bottoms, they have a large selection of both mom jeans and flare jeans and some really cute long skirts that are perfect for fall!

2. Free People

Free People has really good chunky knit sweaters, but my personal favorite is their selection of jackets. They have a lot of light and dark denim jackets to pick from if you are going for a simple look. Or, if you are really trying to live out your mysterious business goal in New York dreams (be honest you know you want to), their leather and suede jackets are so unique and easy to pair with almost anything. My favorite jacket on their website is the “Wool Barn Coat”. Slight warning: they are a bit on the pricey side!

3. PacSun 

Now I know we are supposed to be focusing on cute day outfits that would be perfect for apple picking and drinking hot cider… but we all love a good lazy day. I always get my sweatpants from the Brandy Melville section at PacSun. They have a great selection of fall colors that aren’t just black and gray. I recently bought the “John Gault Rosa Sweatpants” in the color Taupe. They are so comfy and I think the brown color is so cute to match with a cream or tan top of some sort. In addition to their sweatpants, I am a huge fan of PacSun’s selection of long sleeve shirts. Pair any of their fitted long sleeves with a pair of baggy jeans and boom! You have your perfect Isabella Swan vibes outfit. 

4. Abercrombie and Fitch

Okay, now I know that Abercrombie and Fitch was on a downward slope a few years back. However, they made some much needed adjustments and now they are very in-tune with the fall fashion trends, and their clothes are great quality! Abercrombie is where I get all of my jeans from. If you are looking for some jeans with a unique look, go check out their “Ultra High Rise 90’s Straight Jeans” the waist has that V-shape to it that pairs great with crop tops. If you take a peek at their sweaters, the  “LuxeLoft” and “DreamLush” items from Abercrombie are incredibly soft and super warm. If you enjoy pairing sweaters with leggings, make sure to look at their legging-friendly styles, which are longer in length and are the perfect amount of oversized.

5. American Eagle 

Now this is a very obvious choice, but let’s talk about it just in case some of y’all are skipping over this store while strolling through the mall. American Eagle is where I buy almost all of my cardigans (I know cardigans are kind of out of style right now, but let me be in denial about it). I do recommend being picky with what you buy here and asking for a friend’s opinion because I totally have worn outfits from American Eagle that made me look like a middle-aged high school English teacher…which is NOT the vibe anyone is ever going for. 

Honorable mentions: 

Although these aren’t necessarily my #1 choice, they still have some great articles to build that perfect fall look! 

-Urban Outfitters

-Hollister

-H&M

-Express

-Nordstrom Rack 

Take a break from studying and homework this weekend and go treat yourself to some kind of fall drink (I am an apple crisp oat milk shaken espresso kinda girl), and go pick out the perfect sweater weather wardrobe. I hope to be twinning with some of you on campus this fall!

Addie :) co 2026 Im majoring in Journalism im a taurus