Life > Experiences

My Final Piece of Advice: Tips from a graduating senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

In a little over two weeks, I’ll be graduating from college. I’ll be moving out of my college apartment, college town, college life, and starting over. It’s a daunting future, but one I’m excited to start. There’s nothing like a clean slate.

That being said, I’m a little sad to leave. These past four years have been one of the greatest experiences of my life. As the saying goes, I’ve loved and I’ve lost, but more than that, I’ve learned. Academically yes, but I’ve also learned a lot about myself and about life in general. My college experience, the good and the bad, is one I’d never want to change.

I’d like to take some time to reflect and share the three most valuable things I learned while in school.

1. Do it all

I recently saw this quote from Tom Petty and as a senior, it really resonated with me. It’s a little controversial, I think. College is a privilege, and we shouldn’t take advantage of this opportunity for education, but I think there is a small lesson we can learn from it.

College is both about the academics and the experience. I mean, when are you ever going to be 18, living away from home, and surrounded by completely new people ever again? It’s important, I think at least, to take advantage of both.

Value your education. Work hard to get the grades you want, study the material to be prepared for your future, and pay attention in class. When are you ever going to get to learn from esteemed professors again? Take advantage of your classes. Network with your professors and classmates, absorb as much information as possible, do your best to be a great student, and earn your tuition back in knowledge.

Value the experience. Have sleepovers with your friends, buy concert tickets on a weeknight, do what you can to get the most out of your four years. Know when to say no, but don’t be afraid to say yes. Everyone says college was “their best years,” make sure you can say the same.

I guess what I’m trying to say, life is a mixture of work and play. College is when you get to explore and find the balance, so take advantage.

2. Reach out to your professors

This is a lesson I wish I learned earlier, as I’m one who’s always hesitant to ask for help, but seriously, do it. Your professors are there to see you succeed and they want to help you. I encourage you to reach out, whether you’re struggling with an assignment or missing classes for mental health reasons, and let them know your situation. 9 times out of 10, they will do their best to help you get back on track.

I think it’s easy to forget our professors are people too. We see them as instructors, dictators of our GPA, a higher power, when that’s not the reality. The truth is, our professors go through struggles too. They’ve experienced stress, confusion, forgetfulness, whatever it might be that’s dragging you down. Professors understand our struggles better than we think, and if you just open up to them, they’ll do more for you than you think. 

At the end of the day, we’re all human, and we just want to look out for each other. Teachers are the same. So, let them.

3. Be YOURSELF

I moved to Texas from Southern California, and let me tell you, I am a SoCal girl at heart. I love waking up early to hike in the Santa Monica Mountains. I yearn for days spent in the sand under the blistering sun. When I’m home, I’m always outside, always at the beach, and always sunburnt. My SoCal heart appears in my clothing, my slang, my interests, it’s very apparent to most people where I’m from and that I love it.

But, when I moved to Texas, I wanted nothing more than to be a cowboy boot-wearing, country-singing, rodeo-going, southern girl. And believe me, I tried. I bought cowboy boots the first week of school, I listened to country music the second my plane landed, I really dove in headfirst.

Until I face planted.

I am not a country girl, and the harder I tried to be one, to “fit in,” the more uncomfortable I felt. I didn’t know how to act when it wasn’t genuine to me, and I was attracting people into my life who I couldn’t connect with because the way I looked, wasn’t who I truly am. It wasn’t until I ditched the act, traded my cowboy boots for Dickies and country music for surf rock, that I was finally comfortable. I ended up feeling less insecure when I stuck out like a sore thumb, than when I blended into the crowd. I made great friends, ones who have the same interests as me and really care about me, when I was able to connect with people on a real level.

So, I guess that’s my biggest piece of advice. No matter where you are, just be yourself. Don’t be afraid to wear what you want or participate in obscure hobbies. Tell people what you love, and where your values lie. Being true to yourself is vulnerable and scary, but it’s for that reason it makes us powerful. People who can be authentically and undeniably themselves are those who rule the world.

Jax is a music and wellness writer at HerCampus. She's a senior at Texas Christian University, where she's studying Strategic Communication with a minor in Digital Culture and Data Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach, skateboarding, and traveling with her friends. You can always spot Jax with her headphones in listening to the newest album release. Instagram: jacquisobel Spotify: jacquisobelll