This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Back in April of this year, Elon Musk began a deal to buy out Twitter for $44 billion. The deal closed recently on October 27th, but he is already causing a major uproar concerning Twitter’s employees. Twitter’s offices shut down on November 17th when hundreds of employees refused to keep working under Musk.

All of Twitter’s buildings have been temporarily closed and are supposed to reopen this upcoming Monday.

The main reason that these employees have started leaving is because of Musk’s announcement that all workers would now be required to return to the office, meaning many would not be able to work remotely anymore. He made an ultimatum for the employees of either going along with the new Twitter or leaving the company for good.

Since this whole fiasco has started, Twitter has been having major hacks and glitches. Unfortunately, with the lack of employees to fix these, it has been getting worse and users have become outraged. 

Less than half of Twitter’s remaining employees have signed up to work on “Twitter 2.0”. Since there are so few employees, Musk and his executives tried to convince others to stay with the company. 

It is unknown whether the app is going to shut down completely and permanently, or if this is just a temporary glitch problem that will be fixed in the near future. Everyone has begun to back up their Twitter accounts, especially businesses and politicians. If you highly value your Tweets, I suggest you do the same just to be safe!

I am currently a junior Communications major and Studio Art minor at Texas Christian University, and am also a member of Gamma Phi Beta. I create art in my free time and love putting my creative skills to work!