This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

This semester, my days are all topsy-turvy. Some days, I have classes in the morning and work in the afternoon. Other days, I flip that agenda, spending my early hours in the office and my evening ones in a classroom. And even that contradiction is not consistent. Some mornings I workout, yet some evenings I sprint to practice. My meetings move days, skip weeks, and alternate between Zoom and in-person.

Truth be told, it’s really not THAT bad. But I don’t deal well with change. So, naturally, a whole new schedule to kick off the spring semester has sent me into a tiny spiral of panic.

I don’t feel like I have a set routine, where my mind and muscle memory are strong enough to prevent me from making mistakes or forgetting events, even when I’m exhausted. I don’t feel settled. Lack of control always reads as pure chaos to me, especially in new environments.

If you’re like me, the start of a new semester is always rocky because of the whirlwind of classes, buildings, schedules, jobs, times, meetings, and on and on and on. So, if you find yourself feeling tense or overwhelmed, here are a few of my anxiety-curving tips to help you through the beginning of the semester until you find your groove.

1. Utilize a calendar

Whatever your organizational tool of choice is, dive into one! I use a combination of Google Calendar and daily sticky notes, but use whatever works best for you. Online or paper planners are effective ways to plan out classes all at once, as soon as you receive your syllabi. Reminder apps on your phone can also ensure you don’t miss a new class or homework assignment early on in the semester. Even if you don’t normally rely on some form of a calendar (if that is you, teach me your ways!), it’s helpful to layout your semester in some form or fashion to feel like you have a handle on your new schedule.

2. talk to your professors after class

Introducing yourself to new teachers is a good policy anyway, but speaking with your professors after your classes is also a great way to form an immediate connection with them and quell some nerves you may have about the course. Usually, professors are much more relaxed and open one-on-one: they can answer any of your initial questions, address any concerns before you start to panic, and clarify any confusion you have about the course schedule.

3. don’t work (if you can help it)

I have two on-campus jobs, and while they usually bring some consistency and comfort to my week, they just added unnecessary stress to my first week of classes. If you can, I recommend starting your jobs one week late so you can really focus on your new schedule and settle into campus again. I know this isn’t always possible, though. If you have to work, lean into the familiarity and use it to ground yourself in a busy week!

4. rely on your friends

You’re not the only one going through back-to-school changes. Remember to confide in your friends and use your relationships with other people as an emotional anchor. Connection helps us feel a sense of peace in the storm of life, so don’t forget to use the closest coping resources you have: your roommates!

5. Give yourself some grace and breathe…

The truth is, even with helpful tips and suggestions, change is still hard. Dealing with new norms can be difficult, and sometimes no amount of planning or support is enough to fully offset it. It’s okay to break down and feel overwhelmed. Take it slow and transition into this semester at whatever pace you can. It will all feel like a well-oiled machine soon enough.

Best of luck this semester babes!

Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!