How to Maintain a Successful Long-Distance Relationship (With Your Pets)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Long-distance relationships are not easy, by any means. Throw in the fact that your partner has been a huge part of your life for five… maybe even ten years? You can’t even FATHOM living apart from them. Get ready for the going-away water works, ‘cause they’re coming and there’s no stopping them.

Step 1. Load up on photos before you go away. Step into that dream of being a professional photographer for just a little bit and go wild. You never know—maybe that hundredth photo will be the perfect one for the ‘gram.

Step 2. Make sure that your mom or dad is in the loop. Soon, they will be your only source for up-to-date photos of how bae has been looking lately. Don’t shy out of requesting one (or ten) photos via text.

Step 3. It’s been a total life-changer. Let me spell it out for you. F-A-C-E-T-I-M-E. Some might not get it, but if you’re lucky, your partner will totally pick up on how Facetime works and smile at you through the front cam regardless of whether their hair was recently combed or not.

Step 4. Don’t even worry about being clingy. In fact, take your clinginess to an extreme. You miss babe and babe probably misses you, too. They definitely miss night-time cuddling just as much as you. I mean… a living, breathing, 24/7 source of heat? That loves them? And plays with them? And provides total, undivided attention? Let’s be real, that’s all they could ask for. 

Step 5. When you finally reunite with your beloved, show them how much they mean to you. It’s for sure that they missed you a ton, too. Spend time with them.

Moving away from the pets you grew up with and love is never easy. My pets are one of the things I miss the most from home. The thing about pets is that they love us back, and they understand. When I go home, I can’t wait for all the cuddles I’m going to give as well as receive. As long as you make the best out of what you have while you’re away and be sure to show them lots of love when you return, your long-distance relationship will go swimmingly.

Originally from the island of O'ahu, Hawai'i, Kalena is a member of the Class of 2020 here at TCU. She loves animals, books, nerding out with her friends, science jokes, and people who make her laugh.
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.