This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I was born in the Philippines and immigrated to the United States when I was seven years old. We left a country full of people who understood us, who looked like us, and most important of all, who shared the same culture. I am not going to lie to you, it was scary and it was probably the scariest thing I had ever been through in my entire life – coming to a new place full of different people, not knowing if they were going to accept you. Ever since I was young, I have experienced microaggressions: “Wow, your English is so good! How did you learn to speak like that!” or “Aren’t all Asians supposed to look the same? Why aren’t your eyes as small as Chinese people?”. I didn’t know these were considered microaggressions – I was only seven years old, so I laughed to fit in. 

There has been a long history of anti-Asian attacks in the United States, systematically and societally, but because of the pandemic and racist rhetorics being perpetuated by citizens and some leaders in the US, there has been an increase of hate crimes towards Asian-owned business, vulnerable, elderly community, and even just Asians walking in the streets.

You may have seen the graphics all over Instagram and different social media about how to help the Asian community; yes, this does spread awareness about the attacks, but being an ally goes further than spreading awareness. It’s not just about performative activism on Instagram, so these are the different ways you can be an ally during this time.

Check in on your AAPI (Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders) friends.

Even if they might not be showing it, many of your AAPI friends may be scared to go out in public or go shop at majority Asian-owned business locations. If they don’t feel comfortable enough talking about these recent events, just make sure they know that you will always support, love, and cherish your friendship. Even a simple “Hey, I just want to let you know I’m here if you need anything” can go a long way.

Have conversations with your friends and family.

It’s scary having these conversations with friends and family if you have differing views with them politically and sometimes it may just end with an argument, but in order for racism and anti-Asian sentiments to decrease, it starts at home. 

Support locally-owned Asian businesses.

Many Asian-owned businesses have been facing crippling economic pressures since the beginning of the pandemic; because of this, many Asian-owned businesses have found it hard to keep their businesses open. These businesses have also been targets of the increasing attacks, but if you support these local businesses, you could show your support and help them stay afloat. 

Donate.

Donating any amount to help suffering Asian communities and the families of the victim using this link. https://zenerations.carrd.co/#stopasianhate

Bianca is a sophomore Strategic Communications Major and General Business Minor at Texas Christian University and a member of the Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. After completing her undergraduate career at TCU, she hopes to continue her education at law school. When she's not lounged on the couch re-watching all 16 seasons of Grey's Anatomy, she loves cooking new dishes, trying new restaurants with friends, shopping endlessly online, and having the most spontaneous adventures.
Kendall McCarthy is a double major in strategic communication & French and former founding President of Her Campus at TCU. Her friends describe her as enthusiastic, positive, and a friend to all-- so if you see her on campus, come say hi! You can usually find her at Ampersand or Common Grounds. Contact her at k.mccarthy11@tcu.edu.