jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Actually Get a Date on A Dating App

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

In the age of COVID-19, social distancing, and Zoom, dating apps are used more than ever. Many of these apps get the reputation of just being used for hookups, which is valid and often true. However, you can meet a future partner on a dating app! I met my boyfriend of six months on Tinder and I’m sharing some of my best tips on how you can too. 

1. Make it Clear That You’re Not Looking for Something Casual. 

This is something that I would go back and change if I could. When I met my now boyfriend, in my Tinder bio, I had written that I was “just looking for something casual.” This was true at the time but when he wanted to pursue a relationship with me, he was hesitant about letting me know because he thought I would not be open to it. Make it clear what you are looking for right in your bio!  

2. Don’t Plan on Going Over to Their Place on the First Night. 

Everyone knows how hard it is to get out of the “friend zone,” but not many people talk about how hard it is to get out of the “hookup (or friends-with-benefits) zone.” You don’t have to go on a fancy date the first time you meet up, but let your date know that you aren’t planning on going home with them at the end of the night. I would always message guys, “Just so you know, I’m not planning on hooking up with you tonight. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ve got the wrong girl.” A simple message like this further establishes what you want out of the relationship. 

Of course, if you truly want to hook up with a guy on the first date, that’s your prerogative. These tips aren’t the end-all-be-all to a dating app relationship. If the vibes are there, do what will make you feel good! Just make sure to be safe. 

3. Don’t Get Too Serious. 

Dating is supposed to be fun. Even though you’re looking for something more serious than a one-night stand, make sure to take it easy. College is a time to explore, and this includes relationships! Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work out. 

4. Be Safe. 

Even while you’re having fun, make sure to be safe when you go on dates with relative strangers. Make sure that you and your date have both been following COVID-19 protocol and consider sharing your location with your roommate or a close friend.  

Be clear, be safe, and have fun while on Tinder, Bumble, or Hinge, and you just might find yourself swiping right into a relationship!

Kendall McCarthy is a double major in strategic communication & French and former founding President of Her Campus at TCU. Her friends describe her as enthusiastic, positive, and a friend to all-- so if you see her on campus, come say hi! You can usually find her at Ampersand or Common Grounds. Contact her at k.mccarthy11@tcu.edu.