Halloween Movie Favorites: From Spooky to Cute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Hello everyone, avid movie-goer here. And I am here to talk to you about the BEST Halloween movies to watch – scary and sweet.

Do not fear: this list does not just have horror movies. I tried to incorporate a few cute and happier Halloween movies! Alright, now, let’s dive in:

1. Halloween” (1978) – R

Any surprise that this would be featured on the list? Yeah, me too. So of course, I had to throw this up top for number 1. I would say this movie causes some creeps and jitters; however, it is fitting if you are searching for a movie to jump out of your seat on Halloween.

2. “The Addams Family” (1991) – PG13

Anyone else just immediately think of the theme song when reading that title? Because, same. Now, Halloween-lover or not, you need to watch this movie to get into the goofy, scary spirit of Halloween. I wish I could pull off the black lip like Morticia. This movie is about

3. “The Exorcist” (1973) – R

Sheesh. That is all I can say. This one makes me bite my tongue and clench my hands because of how creepy it is! Following the story of a young girl who starts acting odd by levitating and speaking in tongues, her mom seeks medical help and only finds that her poor daughter has been “seized by demons.” This movie follows the priest performing an exorcism and trying to help this poor young girl. Also, for being a 70’s movie, it is very high quality and will definitely spark an emotion out of you.

4. “Zombieland” (2009) – R

After watching this movie, I can say with full confidence that I would survive the zombie apocalypse. This is more of a comedy movie mixed with a horror and lots and lots of zombies and brains – cool. The name basically explains the movie itself: Zombies in a land. A pretty basic concept, but it is definitely worth the watch.

5. “Ghostbusters” (1984) – PG

The most memorable moment from countless childhoods is sitting with a bowl of popcorn singing, “Who you gonna call?” with the entire cast of this beloved classic. The Ghostbusters’ theme song lives rent free in the minds of most of Gen Z and Millennial movie lovers and most certainly deserves a mention on our list. The lovable characters, hidden romance, and hilarious happenings make this series an easy re-watch fun for the whole family.

6. “Hocus Pocus” (1993) – PG

If you see Kenny Ortega made the movie, that is how you KNOW it is going to be a good one. He works his movie magic again with this classic film about witches, spells, and lots and lots of Halloween. This is more of a lighthearted film, and it is guaranteed to make you want to grab your witch hats, and go trick or treating!

7. “Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993) – PG

Need I say anymore?

8. “Practical Magic” (1998) – PG13

I find this movie to be quite like “Hocus Pocus” as it gives a more magical feeling and therefore it makes it spooky. What would you do if you had magical powers? I think I would use them to be invisible and freak people out…but that’s just my opinion.

9. “Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975) – R

It’s astounding how great this movie is! (If you have seen the movie, you’ll know why I chose to use such an extravagant noun). The fun costumes and the plot are super inviting and I definitely recommend this for the soundtrack…“Time Warp” is my favorite.

10. “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” (1996) – G

If you are looking for a happy, feel-good holiday movie to get you into the spirit of Halloween/Thanksgiving, please watch this. I would also pair it with the yummy Pillsbury Pumpkin cookies – it’s worth it.  

Payton Dennis is a senior at Texas Christian University, studying Strategic Communications and Digital Culture and Data Analytics. She is from Houston, TX and spends her time working out, watching the newest (and oldest) movies, binge-watching Sex and the City, updating her social media pages, and so much more!