Style > Fashion

Green Queen: How I’ve created my sustainable WARDROBE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

One of my major resolutions for this year was to have my wardrobe be 100% sourced sustainably, thrifted, or clothes that I have worn for more than two years. I had never been really bothered by fast fashion or the fashion industry’s use of resources until I took a geography class in my freshman year of college, and the statistics are quite shocking:

1. While people have purchased 60% more garments in 2014 than in 2000, they only kept them for half as long.
  2. The equivalent of one garbage truck full of clothes is burned or dumped in a landfill every second.
  3. The fashion industry alone is responsible for 10% of humanity’s carbon emissions.

Now, this is not to say that I dislike the fashion industry and designers. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. I love fashion, especially fashion weeks, and as a broke college student I look up to Louis, Gucci, McQueen, and Fendi.

However, we are living in a world of finite resources and fashion is sucking those resources dry. So, I decided to take my frustrations out on my closet. I donated every piece of clothing that I did not want or would not wear to a company that would either resell it or recycle the material to make something new. And then I said, “Okay Ainsley, no more buying clothes this year. You have enough for what you need”. Great, I had that little conversation with myself, and that was it.

Was it though? Because as a massive shopaholic and retail therapy girlie I was just setting myself up for failure. And I tried, I really tried to stick to my closet, but even with clothes you love, there’s something special about that little brown box that comes in the mail with goodies inside for you to love even more. Christmas is every day with Amazon Prime!

After much research, I have crafted a three-prong plan to make my closet sustainable and yours too. Ask yourself when first searching for an item:

1. Does the Company have a resell platform?
  2. Have I checked re-sale apps?
    • Over the summer, I found Curtsy. A resale app that pretty much saved my bank account. It’s like Poshmark but geared toward women in their 20s who like certain brands. People who don’t want an item anymore can take photos or videos of the item, and post them on the website, then buyers can negotiate prices or ask questions. I have purchased around 12 items from this app, and they’re always my first option when looking for something new. They even have weekly deals for 10% off categories or brands which combined with free shipping is a steal for like-new clothes. They also have a guaranteed refund policy if the item comes back damaged or it is not the one you ordered.
  3. Does it pass the ten test?
    • Can you think of ten outfits that include the new item? Or are there ten events you plan on wearing the outfit at? If the answer is an immediate yes, then you’ve got yourself a winner! Investing in an item for a longer wear time means you have a staple item on your hands.

Even if the item you buy is not second-hand, you can still buy from something called a B-Corp or a benefit corporation. A B-Corp is a corporation that is legally committed to a triple bottom line that consists of sustainability for the environment, profits for the company, and quality products for the consumer. Athleta is an example of a B-Corp.

These few switches will allow you to pay less for an item and benefit the environment so it’s a win-win for everyone!

Ainsley Elliott is a sophomore at TCU currently majoring in accounting with a minor in Geography on the Pre-Law Track. She is passionate about sports, the Bachelor, and all things pink! Her idol is Elle Woods, and during her free time you can catch her doing spin class or trying to learn a new hobby!