Life > Experiences

Gobble Gobble: Season of shopping and giving thanks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As we enter the month of November, two things come to my mind: “Gobble Gobble” day and Black Friday. The two things go together so well, like peanut butter and jelly, yet they are complete opposites. On Thanksgiving, we are often surrounded by our loved ones and delicious home-cooked food that feels like a warm embrace. There’s always some relative that makes everyone go around and say feelings of gratitude, no matter how cheesy they are to say out loud. God forbid they make us explain why we think family is important, *eye roll*. It’s a time filled with fuzzy feelings meant to remind you of everything you already have. To remember the little things that make life worth living. It’s an essential tradition that forces us to practice mindfulness. However, the very next day, all of this disappears with the stroke of midnight like the fairy godmother’s magic. 

All sentiments of gratefulness and appreciation are thrown out the window. Masses of people wait in lines to get the best sales before stores even open, ready to throw hands at any Karen that gets in their way. They wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get that Walmart T.V., now that’s dedication. Gratitude is no longer enough. We are now fueled by materialistic desires, always wanting more, more and more. As carts fill up with products, our reasons for buying them become less distinct, and at one point we just start throwing things in. Trust me, I love a good sale more than anyone but we can save money and shop smart at the same time. 

I am a big believer in retail therapy, but we need to be conscious of how much we are buying as we approach Turkey season. Coming off the high of Halloween and the stress of college midterms, it’s very tempting to have a shopping spree, but we should ask ourselves whether we really need to. If your closet is about to burst out of its seams like your uncle’s stomach on Thanksgiving, it’s probably a sign to put that item back. 

Approaching November, we should instead think about giving back. Maybe you can volunteer at your local food bank and help package Thanksgiving dinners; it’s important to remember not everyone has a warm house or family to return to. Even more of a reason to cherish the simple things we often take for granted. Furthermore, you could donate any old clothes, furniture, toys, or electronics you have. It’s such a great thing to give away something knowing it will make someone else happier. Not only will you feel lighter, but your mental well-being will also be better since you won’t have all of this extra stuff taking up space in your brain. 

As college students, of course, we should be taking advantage of these deals and thinking about getting the most bang for our buck (treat yourself, queen!). Just do so in moderation and buy things with intention. Don’t become a spending machine where your arms grab everything in sight. We should satisfy our craving for shopping through gratitude and yummy Thanksgiving food.

Mia Vu

TCU '26

My name is Mia Vu and I am a freshman at TCU! My majors are in Economics and English on the Pre-Law track :) my favorite genre is YA romance and fantasy!