Galentine’s Day—A Celebration of Our Lady Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

That’s right ladies, it’s February. For the past few weeks, we’ve had to subject ourselves to the sight of oversized bears, candy filled aisles and chubby cherubs, courtesy of Hallmark. But before you climb back into your lofted bed and continue hibernating through this month of love, pause the Nicholas Sparks movie for a second and listen up.

While we may have split feelings about Valentine’s Day, depending upon your current relationship status, February has a much bigger holiday that deserves attention from every girl– Galentine’s Day.  

For my non-Parks and Rec fans (though I strongly advise you begin binge watching), Galentine’s Day is a holiday invented by the character Leslie Knope, dedicated to “ladies celebrating ladies” with a LOT of girl-talk, presents, love and brunch. 

Sometimes it’s easy to take our friendships for granted, but setting aside a day to celebrate the ladies in our lives gives us the opportunity to remember how blessed we are to have girls beside us that will stick with us through thick and thin. Whether it’s a pep talk after failing an exam or providing the Ben & Jerry’s after your most recent breakup– nobody can raise your spirits like your girlfriends can. Carrie Bradshaw said it best, “Maybe our girlfriends are our soul mates and guys are just people to have fun with”. 

Personally, Galentine’s Day allows me to keep things in perspective, and remember the people who are really important in my life, as opposed to the guys who drop in and out without a second thought.  I have my friends from high school, who have somehow stayed by my side through the ups and downs of my teen years, and now adulthood, always a phone call away when I’m in need of a good cry, talk, or discussion regarding my most recent escapades.  Then there’s the friends I have made in college, who have struggled with me through the hardest transition of my life, yet made me feel happy and at home in Texas.  I have my roommate, who is always a bright, shiny light in my life, full of advice, support and endless amounts of love, regardless of my (sometimes stupid) decisions.  And finally the girls in my sorority, who have helped shape my identity, and provided me with friends I will keep by my side forever.

It’s these types of ladies in our lives who we have to thank for helping us become who we are, and creating memories to cherish forever; for being beautiful people full of inspiration; for dropping everything to proof read any and every text message we’ve drafted; for the dance parties, car rides, all-nighters, and meltdowns; for allowing us to drag you to the gym, BLUU, Library (“I just need to print something really fast!”) and Kroger.  Here’s to the girls who see the good in you, the bad in you, and choose both. 

On nights when we look like this: 

….and are feeling a little down

Thanks for the love and pick-me-ups

This Galentine’s Day, I hope you take the time to remind your friends how much they mean to you—whether it’s sending them Tiff’s Treats “just because”, spending a night indulging in Toppers and chick flicks, or even just leaving a sticky note on their door to remind them they’re never alone.   Whether they live down the hall or across the country, don’t forget to send a little love—because it’s not every day you find another human as special and loving as your friends.

Photo Source

Avid Pinterest-er and hopeless romantic