This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I, Katie Tovar, a daughter and sister of two football fanatics, know next to nothing about football. For most of my life I took pride in my ability to block football out of my life even though I was surrounded by it. This past college football season, I attended all the home games, and every single time, I had no idea what was occurring, even though all my friends tried to explain what was happening. This article is for my friends and family to show them what I see when a football game is going on. I will be explaining the rules, position, and popular MVPs. 

Rules 

• Four 12-minute Quarters with a 20 minute halftime.
  • The team that wins the coin toss gets to pick if they are defense or offense. 
  • I don’t know why, but the punter punts the ball at the beginning. I think it’s not needed. What is the difference between a punter and a kicker anyway?  
  • Then the offense person hikes the ball, and the quarterback catches it. 
  • After it is caught, the ball must travel 10 yards, and the offense has four tries to get it 10 yards. 
  • If they do travel 10 yards in four tries, they get to continue until they get a touchdown or fail to get 10 yards in four tries. 
  • If it does not travel 10 yards by the fourth down, most teams usually kick the ball in the goal post and get three points. 
  • After this, the ball turns over to the other team.  
  • This goes on for the rest of the game until a team ultimately wins at the end of the fourth quarter.  

Positions  

• Running back: offense player whose job is to run behind the defense and catch the ball.  
  • Linebacker: person who is on the offense whose job is to get the ball through the middle. 
  • Quarterback: player that catches the hiked ball and throws to other people. This position is usually the most sought after because they make the most money and are usually the most famous. 
  • Right tackle and left tackle: these defensive positions hit the people who hold the ball or are about to hold the ball.  
  • Kicker and Punter: these players kick the ball either in the goal post or kick the ball randomly at the beginning of each quarter.  
  • Cornerback: I’m guessing these positions are in the corner waiting to catch the ball so they can then run and get a touchdown.  
  • Tight end: these players catch the ball that the quarterback throws and then get touchdowns.  

MVPs (players I have heard of) and my opinions

• Taylor Swift’s boyfriend: a tight end, I believe. He did heart hands to Taylor last game. Super cute.  
  • Joe Burrow: a quarterback. He is America’s prince.  
  • Dak Prescot: has a cool success story. He is about to be a dad and has cute dogs.  
  • Jason Kelce: the brother of Taylor’s boyfriend. He is really funny and has a #girlboss wife.  
  • Last but not least, Tom Brady: I think he won a few Super Bowls with the Patriots. His ex-wife is a supermodel and is richer than him.

This is a comprehensive list of everything I know about football. Father and McKay, if you read this, I don’t need a lesson on football because I promise you, I won’t be listening.  

I'm a STEM major who is in need of a creative and fun outlet.