Five Books To Read This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

“Vacation Reading: Ambitions vs. Reality” 

It’s May, exams are upon us, move-out is near, but most importantly, summer is fast approaching. Right now we are stressing out about our finals and frantically trying to salvage our GPA’s, but we can already taste the ice cream and feel the cool evening breezes of summer nights. The annual season of blissful freedom that we’ve looked forward to each year since kindergarten will greet us once again, and we’ll be able to sleep in, spend time with old friends, and watch Netflix all day. Sometimes, though, the overwhelming possibilities can leave us at a loss for how to spend all our time. That’s why I now present a list of books to help pass the time when summer slows down. So whether you’re on the porch swing, tanning poolside, or relaxing with the sand between your toes, these books will be the perfect companions!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

If you liked Gone Girl, this one is right up your alley. After witnessing an intriguing interaction on her usually ordinary train commute into London, Rachel gets sucked into a fast-paced, thrilling mystery about the disappearance of her neighbor. Perfect for when your summer needs some excitement!

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass

This one is for those who want to be whisked into the world of handsome princes and royal balls, as the plot begins with an assassin girl being hired by the evil king to cover the scandalous affairs of court. I know the cover art is a bit intense, but trust me on this one. The assassin girl is a boss, the love interests are dashing, and the action sucks you in as soon as you begin reading.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander and J.K. Rowling

You don’t want to miss this one before it comes out in theaters next fall! For the Harry Potter fans who are never satisfied, this book indulges all the magical cravings of our Muggle-selves. More importantly, the adorable Eddie Redmayne stars in the upcoming movie, so prepare your heart by reading this comical book in the meantime!

Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols

Everyone should know this book. A romantic comedy about a girl named Lori who spends her summers at the lake and falls in love with her two hot neighbors, the plot takes you on a wild goose chase of summer love. It is cheesy, highly unrealistic, and at times just plain absurd. In other words, it’s the classic guilty pleasure book of the summer.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

If you like Hunger Games or Maze Runner-esque novels, this one is for you. The main characters live in a society of restricted freedoms modeled after the Roman Empire. They come from opposite ends of the social spectrum but fall in love as they realize what they really want. This one has it all: mystery, romance, and action that will keep you on your feet until the very last page.

From thrillers, to romance, to adventure, these books will keep you covered for the summer!

Main Photo Source

Emily is a sophomore English & History major at Texas Christian University. In her spare time she likes reading, jamming to Taylor Swift, and looking up videos of celebrities falling on stage. At TCU she has fun being involved in Alpha Delta Pi sorority, the Honors College, Model UN, Yoga Club, and Her Campus TCU.