First HC TCU Campus Celebrity: Aubree Hutchison, Class of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Aubree Hutchison is the President of Kappa Alpha Theta, a sorority on TCU’s campus. Not only is she a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, but she also dedicates her time to multiple other organizations on campus. She enjoys meeting new people and owning her leadership positions with charisma and pride. Check out Aubree’s experience at TCU.

Q: When did you decide you wanted to be the President of Kappa Alpha Theta?

A: “I think every girl that becomes a member of this incredible sorority wants that title. It was more of just a vision. It was never real. Even the second I got the phone call announcing that I was President; I didn’t think it was real and I still don’t. I decided I wanted to be President the day I became a Theta.”

Q: How has your experience on campus impacted your leading position in the sorority?

A: “I would not trade my experience at TCU for the world. It is absolutely the biggest blessing in disguise. TCU wasn’t necessarily my No. 1 choice, but everything I am involved in points me in the direction exactly where God wants me to be in the future. The leadership positions I’ve held, the BNSF Next Generation Leadership program, Sophomore Getaway, Frog Camp, Leaders for Life and Leadership Adventures – everything I do points me in the exact right direction. TCU is very intentional the way they do that.”

Q: When did you decide you wanted to be in a sorority? Was anyone in your family in a sorority?

A: “My mom was (in a sorority) at a different school. She was actually a cheerleader first and ended up going on early alumni status because she was not initially welcomed by the girls in her sorority. When I came here, I was a legacy for that sorority and even though it wasn’t necessarily a fit for me, I knew I wanted to be involved. I knew TCU was 60 percent Greek so I said, ‘Yep, let’s do it and see what happens.’”

Q: How do you think sorority life will affect you after college?

A: “I never wanted to be labeled as a ‘Theta.’ The day I got Theta, I called my mom and said I didn’t want to be known as just ‘Aubree the Theta’; I just want to be Aubree. And now, ironically, I have to be ‘Aubree the Theta.’ I forget sometimes that I am in a sorority, and sometimes I forget that I am President of a sorority just because I am in it for the girls. I think the connections I make here are going to help me post-college. I think being a Theta, having that title and wearing those letters for a lifetime can help me get a job. But, that’s not why I am in it. I’m in it for the people that I’ve met who have changed my life.”

Q: What are your goals for Theta within the next year?

A: “This is my favorite thing ever. At my first Exec meeting we talked for three hours about Theta. What is it? What do we want to do with it? What are our goals? Where do we see it going in the future? Everyone on Exec said I want to change Theta. And I challenged them. I said jokingly, ‘You have a homework assignment because I am President now and I can do that. And you have to tell me what it means to change Theta.’ They all gave me different perspectives and as a whole we just want to make it an empowering and positive experience. We don’t want to make it seem like a chore. We want people to want to wear these letters. We have that passion. A lot of people lose that passion. I even lost that passion for a while before recruitment brought it back. Our goal is to make people fall back in love with Theta.”

Q: How do you plan on accomplishing that?

A: “Just by making it fun and not making every chapter meeting ‘dress to pin’ and just wearing crazy and dumb things instead. A huge goal of mine is to make people fall in love with this sorority and make us recognized nationwide. We boosted our website, our Instagram and those sorts of things. We focused on our personality.”

Q: If you were to give advice for the next person to take your position what would it be?

A: “‘Take your job seriously, not yourself.’  It is a quote I heard last week, and it really stuck with me. You’re here for a reason. Don’t feel like you have to change. I know not everyone is going to love you in a position like this. You might get backlash from the seniors or your friends. I’m in this position for a reason. I’m not going to change. I am not going to lose credibility as a leader.”

Q: What is the most rewarding part about being the President of your sorority?

A: “It’s a thankless job. I don’t need thank yous; it’s not why I am doing it. It’s most rewarding when I’m in chapter and I see people genuinely laugh. It’s living in the house with absolutely the most angelic sisters. I can’t express to you the friendships I’ve made here.”

Q: Where do you picture yourself in 5 years?

A: “I am pursuing two degrees – my MBA and my higher education Student Affairs degree. Post-grad, I want to be working, and when I get my higher education degree, hopefully, my company will pay for me to get my MBA. I want to be done with both degrees, and I would love to be married or engaged at that point. I don’t want to have kids until my late 20s though.”

Q: What else do you want the world to know about you?

A: “I don’t think there is anything I want the world to know about me. I just want the world to learn about themselves.”

Photo Sources:

Image 1: Jenna Lattu

Image 2: Tara McQueen

My name is Tara McQueen. I am a junior at TCU. I enjoy long walks on the beach during the sunset. Watching the sunset from the top of TCU's stadium comes in second, close to California beach sunsets. I love writing and reading gossip columns. One day I hope to write for a nationally recognized fashion magazine. Until then, I plan on blogging and writing as much as I can in my free time.