Emma Zepper: Sharing Christ’s Love through Construction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Most people underestimate dance majors, but you haven’t met Emma Zepper. Not only is Emma double majoring in Ballet and Mathematics, but she spends her summers doing far from the ordinary. Keep reading to learn more about Emma!

Name: Emma Zepper

Class: 2018

Hometown: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Majors: Ballet and Mathematics

Q: What made you pick the unique combination of Ballet and Mathematics?

A: “As a kid I had the unique opportunity of being homeschool and it was there that I found my love of math from my mom. Every day I would look forward to completing my math lesson and I found solving each problem was actually kind of fun. I’ve been fortunate enough to combine this passion with my dancing. Dance has always been a part of my life and I am grateful to be continuing my education of ballet at TCU.”

Q: How do you balance two majors and rehearsals?

A: “Although my days are long and sometimes sweaty, I find my passion for each subject keeps me motivated to strive for my best.”

Q: Describe the work you did this past summer!

A: “I was fortunate enough to spend the summer sharing Christ’s love through construction. I spent three months living and working on a Navajo reservation. I led students in construction projects around the community, I played piano in the worship band, and I also built relationships with the amazing Navajo people.”

Q: What sort of construction work did you do?

A: “I was blessed to spend six weeks working on an addition to a family’s trailer home. This was just one of many projects! We built decks, put up drywall, framed walls, and even worked on a roof while braving flying fire ants.”

Q: What was the hardest part about being on the reservation?

A: “My biggest struggle was wanting to help more. Every day I saw the progress our group made, but I also noticed the progress which was still needed.”

Q: What is the biggest thing you learned from your time on the reservation?

A: “The biggest lesson I learned was the lesson of love. I got to create relationships with so many incredible people I would have never met without this opportunity. I got to see people grow in their faith, which inspired strengthened my relationship with Christ.”

Q: Will you be returning this summer?

A: “Yes!! I cannot wait to reconnect with old friends and experience new opportunities in leadership as I take on a bigger role in construction. I know the Lord has incredible plans for this summer and I can’t wait to be a part of them!”

Photos courtesy of Emma Zepper