Doing a Better Ranking of Beyonce’s Best & Worst Songs (Since Glamour Magazine Failed)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Whoever made the list of Beyonce’s top and bottom 10 songs at Glamour Magazine has clearly never listened to Beyonce’s discography. As a die-hard member of the Beyhive, I was grossly offended by that list. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just Google “Glamour Magazine Beyonce Song Ranking,” and it will come up. Disclaimer: If you love Beyonce as much as I do, be prepared to get angry.

It’s not really the “best” category that has people mad (although I have a hard time believing that “Mood 4 Eva” made it in the best category and “All Night” didn’t). It’s Glamour’s take on her “worst” songs. Seeing anthems like “Kitty Kat,” “Beautiful Liar,” “Schoolin’ Life,” and “Best Thing I Never Had” on that list was one thing, but seeing masterpieces such as “Sandcastles,” “Halo,” “Superpower,” and “Broken-Hearted Girl” (which was misspelled on that list, by the way) sent me over the edge. In my opinion, only one song on that list deserved a Bottom 10 spot and that’s “Hip Hop Star.” Everything else on the list does not deserve the slander it got. All I’m saying is that if I were in charge, someone at Glamour Magazine and I would have a (respectful) debate over the queen.

Anyway, in spite of that atrocious piece, I decided to remake the list with what I believe are Beyonce’s Top 10 and Bottom 10. Again, these are just my opinions. You don’t need to agree with me; I just hope my list does Beyonce more justice than Glamour’s list did.

TOP 10

1. I Care (4)
  2. Don’t Hurt Yourself (Lemonade)
  3. Start Over (4)
  4. Love on Top (4)
  5. All Night (Lemonade)
  6. Mine (Self-Titled)
  7. Resentment (B’Day)
  8. Halo (I Am…Sasha Fierce)
  9. Broken-Hearted Girl (I Am…Sasha Fierce)
  10. Blue (Self-Titled)

HONORARY MENTIONS (They deserve a spot on this list, but I obviously don’t have room for all of them! They were definitely considered for the list):

• Deja Vu (B’Day)
  • End of Time (4)
  • Run the World (Girls) (4)
  • Drunk in Love (Self-Titled)
  • Ring Off (Self-Titled)
  • XO (Self-Titled)
  • Freedom (Lemonade)
  • Love Drought (Lemonade)

BOTTOM 10

1. Daddy (Dangerously In Love)
  2. Hip Hip Star (Dangerously In Love)
  3. That’s How You Like It (Dangerously In Love)
  4. Signs (Dangerously In Love)
  5. Yes (Dangerously In Love)
  6. Speechless (Dangerouly In Love)
  7. Video Phone (I Am…Sasha Fierce)
  8. Forward (Lemonade)
  9. Flawless*** (Self-Titled) (NOT the Flawless Remix; I’m talking about the original version)
  10. Sorry (Lemonade)

I know most of the bottom 10 are songs from Dangerously in Love. Let me be fair: Beyonce ALWAYS improves herself with every album she makes. In my opinion, compared to her other work, Dangerously in Love doesn’t hold up as much. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad album — I just think it’s not as good as her other work.

Do you agree or disagree with my picks? Feel free to share your list with me! I’m interested in seeing what everyone else puts as their top 10 and bottom 10 … unless of course, you’re Glamour Magazine. Can you all please leave Beyonce alone? Thanks!

Alex is a current undergraduate at TCU, where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising with a minor in Writing. She is the current Marketing and PR Director of TCU's chapter of Her Campus. Outside of school, you can find Alex shopping, baking, watching a true-crime docuseries, or listening to Beyonce! IG: alex.colig || alexcolig.com || alex.colig@tcu.edu