This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Hey–friends of mine, family members of mine–maybe skip out on reading this one until after December 25?

Ok, now that that’s taken care of…welcome to your personal guide for the cutest, craftiest, most thoughtful DIY gifts for all your loved ones this year! If you’re down to save some money and get a little artsy, this is the perfect gift guide for you. Trade expenses for a little extra effort this year and try out some of these DIY ideas.

Credit to @e.liz.hobbs on TikTok for a few of these ideas and for inspiring this article!

For the Music Lover…

Custom Playlist

If you and your loved one are always talking about and listening to music, there’s nothing more meaningful than curating a playlist just for them. Find out their streaming platform of choice and put together some songs for them. Feel free to add a variety, including songs you know they love, songs they may have introduced you to, songs that remind you of them, and some new music you think they’d enjoy! Make the playlist cover image a photo of the two of you and name the playlist something sweet.

Want to elevate the gift? Instead of just texting them the playlist, make them a card to go along with it. Paste in a QR code that’s linked to the playlist, then list the songs. Write a short note for each about why you added it, and/or your favorite lyric from the song.

Example 1

Example 2

Music Poster

If you’re an artist or a creative, crafting a poster for your favorite music lover could be another thoughtful gift. Choose your loved one’s favorite song, album, or artist, and put together a collage of photos and lyrics. Canva is a great tool for beginners, while Photoshop works wonders for the more experienced designers. Otherwise, you can go the more traditional route and print or cut out things from magazines and paste them together.

Example 1

Example 2

Decorated Vinyl

Head to the thrift store and buy the cheapest vinyl you can find for this gift idea. Then, grab some sentimental photos and/or paint and go to town with the decor! Personalize it to your loved one with their name, photos or patterns that match their vibe, and/or a sweet note right on the vinyl.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

For the collector…

Altoid Trinket Box

I’ve been seeing this idea all over TikTok this holiday season and I have to say, it is too cute! If you know a trinket collector, pick up a tin of Altoid mints, then decorate with craft paper, stickers, and paint. Throw a few trinkets inside to get the collection started, or leave it empty for your loved one to fill!

Example

52 Reasons ILY Card Deck

Know someone who collects decks of cards? Give them one that is extra personal by taking a regular deck of cards, then writing on each card a reason why you love them. If you want to go the extra mile, you could also customize the backs of the cards with paint, stickers, or photos.

Example 1

Example 2

Custom Matchbooks

Matchbooks are a staple in homes of all kinds, whether it’s your friend’s new apartment or your childhood home. Treat your loved one with custom matchbooks, decorating them according to the interests and personality of your loved one. They can keep them in their house or give them to guests who visit–the gift that keeps on giving!

Example 1

Example 2

For the Sentimental one…

memory Scrapbook

A scrapbook is a classic for your more sentimental loved ones. They will love reminiscing on memories, old photographs, and inside jokes, and where better to put them than in a scrapbook? Don’t forget to write notes to them, retell all the best stories, and doodle all over!

Example

Cigarette Box Notes

This is the sweetest gift for the cool girl in your life. Take (or make) a cigarette box, decorate it according to her aesthetic, then write messages and roll them up. Slide them into the box like cigarettes for her to open and read! It’s aesthetic and thoughtful all at once–what more could a cool girl ask for?

Cigarette Box Template

Example

Mini Zine

Another artsy gift idea for your loved ones is a mini zine. You could do it scrapbook style, put song lyrics on each page, or create a short comic-book-style story. They’re extremely easy to make, and the possibilities are endless. Get as creative as you want, adding pop-up features or stapling multiple together to extend the zine.

Example

For the book Lover…

Bookmark

The one thing that every book lover needs, but never has? A bookmark! Help out your well-read loved one by making a bookmark just for them! Add photos, craft paper, or drawings and write a note on the back, or get creative with origami to give your bookmark dimension.

Example 1

Example 2

Annotated Book

This idea is an absolute classic–it might take some time to complete, but it’s extremely meaningful and personalized! Start by choosing your loved one’s favorite book, or one you think they’d love. Then, annotate the book for them. Write your thoughts, add color-coordinated tabs, and rate and review it when you finish it. Don’t forget to write a sweet note on one of the first pages!

If a novel is too much, feel free to opt for a poetry book. Be sure to mark your favorite poems for your loved one!

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Book Coasters

Nothing is better than curling up with a good book and a nice cup of coffee. Most of the time, that calls for a coaster. Head to the dollar store or a hardware store and purchase some tiles, then paste the covers of your loved one’s favorite books onto them to make custom coasters. Be sure to use a dishwasher-safe Mod Podge to seal it on as well. Don’t forget to tie them up with a bow once you’re finished!

Example 1

Example 2

I am currently a Graphic Design major at Texas Christian University. I love reading, making art, being outdoors, and Taylor Swift!