The Chicago Cubs: Lovable Losers No More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

The Cubs won the World Series. Those are words I never thought I would be able to say. Growing up a Chicago Cubs fan prepares you for disappointment, but entering Game 7 of the World Series, there was a glimmer of hope that we would no longer be the lovable losers. Cubs’ fans couldn’t help but think, “maybe this really is our year”. The road to this win was 108 years in the making and it all came down to Game 7 winner-takes-all. With their palms sweaty, hearts pounding and fingers crossed, Cubs fans began to watch the most exciting game in the history of baseball unfold… Here’s how it went down.

When Dexter Fowler hit one out the first at bat of the game:

When Santana tied it up for the Indians in the 3rd:

During the top of the 5th when the Cubs went up 5-1:

Joe Maddon took out Hendricks to put in Lester and we were all like:

Then the Indians scored 2 runs in bottom of 5th:

Ross hit a homerun in his final game in the MLB and we got all the feels:

But then, everything crumbled in the bottom of the 8th:

Then Baez decided to bunt with 2 strikes???

When the 9th inning ended and we all realized that GAME 7 OF THE WORLD SERIES WAS GOING INTO EXTRA INNINGS:

And as if nothing else could go wrong, the rain delay happened:

Then suddenly, it was as if God was on our side again. The Cubs took the lead in the 10th!

Finally, Bryant fielded the last play of the 2016 World Series, smiling the whole time just like all of us at home

Game 7 was a roller coaster of emotions. As someone with a huge fear of rollercoasters, I can honestly say this was the only one I have ever enjoyed. I cannot put into words what this win meant for Chicago Cubs fans. For most of us die hards, this will go down as the best day of our life. I grew up going to Wrigley Field every year, always saying, “this is our year.” I never thought I would get the chance to actually see it happen. This is really was our year. The Chicago Cubs are World Series Champs – loveable losers no more.

Strategic Communications Major from Chicago, IL
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.