BTS performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

So you want to get into BTS but have no idea where to start? I have got you covered.

Officially debuting on June 13, 2013, BTS, which stands for Bangtan Sonyeondan, and translates to “bullet-proof boy scouts” is composed of seven members. From oldest to youngest, the members and their stage names are as follows: Kim Seokjin, Jin; Min Yoongi, or SUGA; Jung Hoseok, or j-hope; Kim Namjoon, or RM; Park Jimin, or Jimin; Kim Taehyung, or V; and Jeon Jungkook, or Jungkook. 

On April 3, 2022, the world’s biggest band, BTS, hit the Grammy’s stage to perform their record-breaking song Butter. Having been nominated for Best Group/Duo Performance for Butter, BTS showed fans watching from home, and the audience at the show, a never-before-seen performance. With a spy, or James Bond-esque style to their moves, the band was given a standing ovation at the end of their show as everyone on Twitter couldn’t contain themselves over *that* moment Kim Taehyung, stage name V, shared with a certain pop princess. If you are part of the large group of people whose interest in the band piqued after that performance, or if your interest in them has grown for any reason, here are some starting points for your journey down the rabbit-hole that is BTS. 

Interviews

Perhaps one of, if not THE BEST, American talk-show appearances the band has done was their early, pre-quarantine, 2020 feature on The Late Late Show with James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke. This video has everything, from personality development to glimpses of songs and choreography, this video will make anyone smile and love the band. 

In a perfect mix of band banter and new information (excluding Jin saying the members cook the same when there is a variety of proof to counter that), this interview also allows new fans, or ARMY, to know a little more about every member. While this is one of the band’s more recent appearances on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, every skit, interview, and performance the band has done on the show is definitely worth the watch. 

Filmed during the pandemic, this series of interviews follows the band as they look back on their careers and give each other oddly specific compliments sure to make everyone laugh. 

Music Videos

Spring Day and the story behind it is crucial for every fan to know. Not only is the song itself a sonic and lyrical masterpiece but the symbolism in the video is also incredible as the work is dedicated to the victims of the Sewol Ferry Tragedy. There are many analysis videos also on YouTube that breakdown the video and the song’s lyrics that are also very important to watch. 

Yet another highly symbolic video, I would definitely advise you to watch break down and analysis videos for Blood Sweat and Tears. Additionally, this video gave us a riskier and sexier BTS that are sure to be very appealing to watch. 

Although not nearly as deep as the other two, DOPE is a super fun watch. With their technical choreography and occupational costumes, this is a great video to watch when you are trying to learn everyone’s names and parts. Plus, you get to see orange hair Jimin, a favorite look among many fans. 

Performances

Although long, their MAMA performances are always worth the watch, and in 2019 BTS did not disappoint. From the set list that covered old and new staples of the time, the member’s haircuts were even more chef’s kiss than ever. Topped off with the insane production value of their Dionysus performance, yet another song filled with intense symbolism and metaphors about the power of stardom, you will definitely be left with your jaw on the floor after watching. 

ON is most definitely one of the band’s most intense choreography, and that’s saying a lot, especially if you already watched them perform Dionysus. Filmed at Grand Central Terminal at 3am, there are few words to describe the work ethic that was so clearly put in this performance. 

While every BTS performance is amazing, their cover of Coldplay’s Fix You is especially breathtaking. From solo’s to group harmonies, BTS were able to show their sheer talent and singing ability even without their great dance skills. 

RunBTS Episodes (on Youtube or V-Live App)

47-48: betrayal, deceit, scapegoat, jin being the mom no one listens to. 

53-56: a JOURNEY–it’s got comedy, heart, trivia, chaos, tension (competition wise) just chefs kiss really.  

79-80: The phrase “all men do is lie” came from this episode because when I say these men would not stop lying to each other I mean it. Plus, another episode of BTS thinking they’re poor even though they’re not. 

86-89: Betrayal to the max, one member in the most serious tone said he’d stop being friends with another member once the cameras turn off. Overall, a LOT of action. 

118-119: They want to kill each other. Another episode of the audience thinking they didn’t have to do Jimin so dirty like that, but it was funny. 

120-121: Mystery, drama, sprinkled with Jin and another member being the smartest people in the room. The costumes looked really good on them, especially for V, Jungkook, and Jin. 

126-127: A rollercoaster. They ACTIVELY wanted to stop filming and go home (in a way that makes you laugh). You really understand why jk is called the “golden maknae” in addition to a great underdog storyline for another member. 

Fan Accounts to Follow

Twitter: 

• @ miinyoongs
  • @ monipersona
  • @ VJ95x95

Instagram:

• @ taetaeboo
  • @ busanboobs
  • @ vanillahobie

TikTok: 

• @ Erikatitus
  • @ yoongisshawtyy
  • @ g1ossymin
Madelin is a sophomore at Texas Christian University, studying business on the pre-law track, where she serves as the Treasurer for Dance Marathon. Growing up in El Paso, Texas, she is a Latina who wants to be a role model for other young women who want to pursue business. When not studying, Madelin is browsing TikToks about her favorite artists, Harry Styles and BTS, or updating herself on current pop culture events and astrological trends.