Style > Fashion

Backless and All: Timothée Chalamet Wore a Striking Red Carpet Look at the Venice Film Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Just when I thought he couldn’t get any better, Timothée Chalamet stepped onto the red carpet dressed in an ensemble unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. In attendance for his role in Luca Guadagnino’s Bones and All, Chalamet showed up at the Venice Film Festival wearing a scarlet red jumpsuit with his back on full display.

This audacious look stirred a frenzy for Chalamet fans all around, but a jaw-dropping moment should’ve been expected from Timothée—the trendsetter—Chalamet. The young actor continues to break the internet time and time again, using every red carpet event as a moment to show off his tasteful style.

This time around, Chalamet wore a custom design made by his good friend Haider Ackerman (H.A.), a Columbian-born French designer. Ackerman’s design choice was clearly motivated by the macabre of the film— going for a not-so-subtle coruscating red material that bears a resemblance to, you guessed it, blood. Fashion critics might say it was a little tongue-in-cheek given the reference, but how can it not be when it’s referencing a movie about cannibalism?

The jumpsuit, backless and all, was obviously what induced everyone’s Chala-mania— Timothée knew what he was doing, dressed so scantily up-top— but a moment of appreciation must be held for this look’s impeccable styling. As much of a success as the look was, had it been over-accessorized even in the slightest, the ensemble’s balance between elegant and adventurous would’ve gone… askew. The subtlety of each additional element incorporated into the outfit made it absolutely harmonious.

Two chrome rings and a pair of black boots, et voilà, the look was complete. Even the simplest of styling can be sensational.

In my opinion, the best part of this look was how well it symbolized the film’s storyline without overshadowing the actor’s true persona. Not only did it feel very Bones and All, it felt very Timothée too.

Timothée Chalamet ATE— Bones and all.

Chloe Cloud is a double major in English and Journalism at Texas Christian University. She is a fashion fanatic and a (self-proclaimed) thrift queen. When Chloe isn't working as Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus, you can find her at home binge-watching fashion and design competition reality shows. MBTI: INFP | Enneagram: Type 4 | Personality Twin: Carrie Bradshaw x Jenna Lyons' love-child