The Back to School Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

The time has come where only a few weeks of school have passed, but every time the alarm goes off, your head starts to pound with it. You pretty much feel like you’re dying.

The back to school plague is something that almost all college students are familiar with.  Waiting in line at the health center, living off of Emergen-C and Advil, and taking a Nyquill before bed are all too familiar.

But, for any college student, getting sick for the first time without having someone to care for you might be the worst feeling in the world. 

Who is supposed to rub your back and make you hot tea when you feel like you’re dying?  Because although I love my roommate, I don’t think she could provide the same care as mom.

Moms. The ones who lift us up and make sure we’re on time and wearing pants. Why can’t we bring them to college, or with us for the rest of our life? Who knows, maybe the world would be a better place if we could.

Surviving the first few weeks of college without your mom is hard enough, but getting sick without her is almost worse than losing your phone. 

It is an exciting adjustment period when getting used to campus life and freedom, but don’t overdo it when it comes to partying and going out. Getting enough sleep and making sure you’re giving your body the right things it need to function is key to staying healthy in college.  

Although it might be hard to do all of these things on your own, make your mom proud and show her that you are a responsible adult who can be independent. Maybe then she’ll decide that she’s been without you for far too long and will come and give you all of her love. 

Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.