This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Road trips put me in the most experimental of musical moods. I always take time to go through an album top to bottom, to listen to Apple-curated playlists (Spotify users, don’t hate), and to explore some music that I normally wouldn’t have the time to expose myself to. On a road trip with my mom, we stumbled across a song that had us both silently lost in our imaginations, letting the swingy piano and plucky bass flow through our memories and bring them to life. The singer: Tess Henley. The song: Dean Martin. The vibes: immaculate.

“Dean Martin” – from Better EP

A softer, mellow tune, Dean Martin features Henley’s soulful voice atop the undertones of an electric organ and some pinging piano. “Freeze me like a popsicle and watch me melt,” begs Henley, as she calls upon the crooners of the past to light up her home so she can “dance in the kitchen” with her “Dean Martin.”

“Same Girl” – Single

A sweet sample of Barbara Acklin’s “Am I The Same Girl,” Henley’s single demonstrates her impeccable ability to capture the essence of soul while adding her own flair.

“Better” – from Better EP

The bass line in this chompy tune, accompanied by bouncy vocals, makes this one of Henley’s most eclectic songs. Don’t be fooled by the semi-bareness of the verses, Henley proves herself just as musically sophisticated with the progression and horns in the chorus.

“Nothing More To Say” – Single

A more recent release, Nothing More To Say, demonstrates Henley’s evolution into more lo-fi music. Some electric guitar accents the watery synths and vocals to revive her more funky roots.

Ella McClure Mercer is a journalism major at the Bob Schieffer College of Communication at TCU, where she reports for TCU 360. She wrote her first song on the piano when she was 10 and hasn't stopped playing since. Originally from Nashville, Ella spends her free time drinking coffee, eating at fun restaurants, and going to concerts. Instagram: @old.eller Twitter: @oldeller_