9 Things That Happen When You’re Away From Your Roommate for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Whether the first time you’re away from your roommate happened during Fall Break or Thanksgiving, it’s certainly an experience. You go from having someone right around the corner almost 24/7, and although it may seem taxing at times, you definitely notice it when they’re no longer around. Here are nine things that happen when you’re away from your roommate for the first time:

1. You get to sleep in as long as you want. There’s no one else rummaging around the room at an ungodly hour. This could be a blessing and a curse however, when you find yourself getting up after noon.

2. No need for arguing about where to go eat or the struggle of having different meal plans. The BLUU is only as bad as you let it be.

3. The slightest thing will remind you of them. Seriously. Whether it’s when that annoying song they overplay comes on the radio, or when you drive by their favorite restaurant.

4. Wherever things land works for you. There’s no shared space at home. Being neat is no longer a priority.

5. Your headphones will be tucked away and you’ll go back to singing all of your favorite songs at the top of your lungs.

6. If you and your roommate have a common show, there will surely be a slew of capitalized messages with certain choice words sent back and forth after that next inevitable twist.

7. You’ll probably annoy your friends back home with “had to be there” stories starring your roommates, and that’s okay.

8. You no longer have to accommodate your nightly routine to theirs. You could potentially watch Netflix with all of your lights on, if that’s something you’re in to.

9. No matter how great it is at first, the silence and loneliness will eventually catch up with you, but thankfully, they are just a message or a snap away.

I like watching movies and making movies. Oh, and dinosaurs, I like dinosaurs.