8 Things to Watch if You Miss Downton Abbey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

When Downton Abbey ended earlier this year, many of us were warmed by the happy finale but sad that the show was over. I was one of the many who thought “What will I watch now? What classy British show could ever fill the hole that Downton Abbey left in my life?” Well, for the rest of you with similar feelings, I’ve been scoping out Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go for the last few months finding Downton Abbey replacements. If you’re a fan of emotional dramas, semi-historical settings, amazing characters, and beautiful costumes, check out some of the following:

North & South

This BBC miniseries captured my heart. Margaret Hale, a lady from the South of England, moves with her family to the industrial town of Milton during the mid-1800s and experiences many changes in her life. There are 4 episodes in this miniseries, each an hour long, and each one will leave you wanting more. The love story between Margaret and the cold but sensitive Mr. Thornton will give you SO many feels. Also, one of the main characters is Mr. Bates from Downton Abbey! I highly recommend this one, and it can be found at your convenience on Netflix.

Sherlock

This show is very different in theme from Downton Abbey, but it’s another British masterpiece. Each episode, about the length of a movie, is so fascinating and well-made that you’ll probably finish the available Netflix seasons in no time. Don’t get TOO attached though, they only release a new season every 2 years so you’ll have to be a very patient watcher. However, the next season is coming out in just a few months, so catch up on Sherlock while you can!

Jane Eyre

This movie has all the Britishness and sophistication of Downton Abbey, along with a lovely story, beautiful scenery, and time period costumes. Bonus points: it has Michael Fassbender as the stern but dreamy Edward Rochester. You can watch it on Netflix.

Poldark

I’ll admit I haven’t seen this show yet, but it’s next on my list. It’s another Masterpiece Theater show sponsored by PBS, so it’s sure to be good. It takes place after the American Revolutionary War, where a British soldier returns to his home in Cornwall. You can watch it for free with your Amazon Prime account!

Far from the Maddening Crowd

This is such a beautiful movie with love triangles, heartbreak, charming gentlemen, and a headstrong heroine; very Downton Abbey-esque. I found myself both loving and hating Bathsheba, the main character, but the ending made all the ups and downs worth it. (cough cough, just like Mary’s romantic journey in in Downton) This movie used to be on HBO Go, but for some reason isn’t there anymore. If you find it somewhere else, though, I highly recommend giving it a watch.

Mansfield Park

Another classic movie set in 1800s England, it has an intelligent heroine and a charming love story, along with the drama that comes with trying to fit in with English high-society. It’s obviously set a little earlier than Downton Abbey, but it’s still a good British romantic drama! You can find it on Netflix.

Inspector Lewis

I’ve seen a few episodes of this PBS detective special, and it’s very well-made. It’s a Masterpiece Mystery, so not exactly like Downton Abbey, but still an intriguing British show if you’re into criminal/detective series.

Game of Thrones

Okay yeah, this show is really different than Downton Abbey. But, if you love drama, suspense, intriguing plots, characters you both love and hate, beautiful scenery, and incredible costumes, this is the show for you. It’s definitely a little more risqué and violent than Downton, but it truly is an amazing show. Before watching it, I thought I would hate it, but now I’m 5 seasons in and obsessed. Maybe give it a shot if you’re looking for something new!

Eleni Michaelides is a freshman marketing major at Texas Christian University. She's part of the Honors College, Gamma Phi Beta sorority, the Chancellor's Leadership Program, and the writing and advertising teams for Her Campus TCU. Eleni's Top 5 Favorite things are puppies, monograms, musicals, food, and Disney. (In no particular order)
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.